White amberol cylinder???

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

White amberol cylinder???

Post by Mormon S »

Found this in on ebay. Is this really a white amverol record? Was this another color like the Royal Purple records? If anyone has any info, I'm really interested in knowing.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180728-132137.png
Screenshot_20180728-131814.png

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: White amberol cylinder???

Post by Jerry B. »

No, it an Indestructible record in an Edison box. I can't tell by the photo but some Indestructibles came in light blue. Perhaps this particular cylinder faded to a whiteish color. Hope this helps. Jerry B.

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

Jerry B. wrote:No, it an Indestructible record in an Edison box. I can't tell by the photo but some Indestructibles came in light blue. Perhaps this particular cylinder faded to a whiteish color. Hope this helps. Jerry B.
I couldn't imagine it fading to nearly pure white, but if it did thats pretty interesting. Maybe someone tried cleaning it with a chemical that turned it white.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

I could be wrong, but I believe some of those Indestructibles are light grey in color --- perhaps this is an example. Also, some are green. I have only seen the much more common black or light blue varieties in person.

Bob

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I've seen some of the water dyed Blue Amberols fade to a very pale blue, so dyes might have failed for other makers

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

I believe this was originally more of a grey color. I had one if cloud chief on Indestructible and it was not as dark as the black ones. I am guessing it faded over the years.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I agree - - it looks like a grey Indestructible. Here's a photo of some Indestructibles on the left, and Blue Amberols on the right:
From the Antique Phonograph Society web site:  www.antiquephono.org.
From the Antique Phonograph Society web site: www.antiquephono.org.
The article on the APS web site from which this image was taken is very informative about basic types of cylinder records. It can be accessed here:

https://www.antiquephono.org/basic-anti ... onal-tips/

George P.

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

Do you think it's worth bidding on? I mean, how uncommon are they? And it's obviously not in the greatest condition.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Do you think it's worth bidding on? I mean, how uncommon are they? And it's obviously not in the greatest condition.
The questionable condition would keep me away from the cylinder. My advice is to always buy the best condition you can afford. If you buy quality you'll seldom regret your purchase. If you were to say that you have enough money to buy a very clean Edison Home or a very average Triumph and asked my advice, I would suggest you buy the very clean Home.

Jerry Blais

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

Jerry B. wrote:
The questionable condition would keep me away from the cylinder. My advice is to always buy the best condition you can afford. If you buy quality you'll seldom regret your purchase. If you were to say that you have enough money to buy a very clean Edison Home or a very average Triumph and asked my advice, I would suggest you buy the very clean Home.

Jerry Blais
I placed the first bid. If anyone outbids me, I'll let it go. I've never seen one before so, it would be cool having one. I really don't kind since it's a small thing that didn't cost me much. I just find it really interesting.