My new horn--is it for a front mount leather elbow?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

My new horn--is it for a front mount leather elbow?

Post by jboger »

The photo is of a horn that I just got at an auction. It was the only phonograph-related item in the auction. It was not as clean as it now appears. In fact it was a bit banged up, and the brass bell exhibited some verdigris. It's about 14 inches long. I tried slipping it on a cylinder machine, but the bell's opening is much too large for the reproducer. Mind you, the horn has not been cut down and that it tapers to an end. Is it possible--and I hope it it--that this horn was for a front-mount machine and took a leather elbow? There are no marking or threads on the end that would indicate that it inserted into either a Victor or Columbia brass elbow. So the question is, Is she is or is she ain't an early front-mount horn for a leather elbow? If it's not, so be it.
Attachments
DSCF1673.jpg
DSCF1673.jpg (97.08 KiB) Viewed 855 times

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: My new horn--is it for a front mount leather elbow?

Post by Phonofreak »

What is the diameter of the brass bell? If it is less than 7", It is a cut down horn. Front mount horns are between 9 ¼ thru 9 ½" in diameter.
Harvey Kravitz
Last edited by Phonofreak on Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Post by Ripduf1 »

Hi Joe
If you could post a close up picture of area where the brass bell joins the black barrel that would be helpful to identifying the horn. Right now it appears to be a B&B Edison...some of them had a soldered metal nipple at the small end and my thought is your has been knocked off and is missing. That can be repaired. if you need an end - I have some. John Duffy
Horns rolled and straightened

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Nope, not an early front-mount. Bell is only around 7 inches in diameter. I'll take close-ups and post them tomorrow.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Some dimensions and pictures.

John D.: Dimensions: The length along the diagonal measure from bell to other end is 13.5 inches; the bell is 7 inches in diameter; and the narrow opening is 0.75 inches.

Harvey: Now that you have given me dimensions, it seems obvious to me this is a horn for a cylinder machine and not for a front-mount disk machine. Live and learn.

And now pics. I can take more if more are needed. Note the seam down the length. It looks to me as if the central part is a simple rolled cone with a bell soldered on.
Attachments
DSCF1678.jpg
DSCF1678.jpg (59.46 KiB) Viewed 693 times
DSCF1675.jpg
DSCF1675.jpg (70.58 KiB) Viewed 693 times

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Post by Ripduf1 »

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the picture. Since the brass is "larger" diameter or "Higher" than the barrel where they meet which is a tell tale sign of a repop - my tendency is to think it is an older reproduction horn which may have had its narrow end cut down for some unknown reason. The seam that runs the length of the horn looks like a more contemporary way of manufacturing as well. IMO John
Horns rolled and straightened

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Thanks. Well, I'm out 20 bucks so I'll consider that money well spent for the education.