Brown Wax Cylinders Found with Edison Triumph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MikeB
Victor II

Brown Wax Cylinders Found with Edison Triumph

Post by MikeB »

Today I picked up an untouched Edison Triumph (with horn) from the relatives of the original owner, who apparently was a musician. I'll post some pictures of the machine later on, but for now I wanted to share a few pictures of the cylinders that came with it. They were packed in a box with a 1982 newspaper on top. Many cylinders were wrapped just in tissue paper, and others in Edison cylinder boxes. Some were broken, but these four thin brown wax cylinders, wrapped in tissue paper, somehow survived. Interesting, there were several thicker brown wax cylinders in the boxes, (perhaps Columbias), but those were covered with mold. Strange how the ones in the tissue paper came through better.

I'd like to find out what is recorded on these four brown wax cylinders. Is it safe to play them on one of my two-minute Edison machines, with a Model C reproducer? Also, did these early cylinders play at a slower speed? I seem to remember something about this.

Thanks,
Mike
Attachments
Brown Wax 3.jpg
Brown Wax 1.jpg

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Re: Brown Wax Cylinders Found with Edison Triumph

Post by kirtley2012 »

A model B would be better for playing these really, less risk of damage
But often they were recorded slower, many around 120rpm, though if they're home recordings, could be any speed, only way to find out would be play them and adjust the speed to where it sounds correct.

victorthesixth
Victor I

Post by victorthesixth »

Nice find, by any chance did you get the original owners name etc?

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Okay, here are some pictures of the machine. There was a recording blank box in there too, and since the original owner was a musician, it which makes me think that there is at least a possibility that there might be a recoverable recording of him here. His relatives, (who I bought the machine from), were a very nice older couple. The machine was a family heirloom that had been passed down through the family. They were only selling it because they needed the money. It sure would be a nice surprise for them if I could come up with a recording. I have their contact info and can find out more about the original owner. The 1982 newspaper was on top of the cylinder box.

The machine was pretty much untouched, as I said. It came with the original Triumph horn. It has 2/4 minute gearing added, (think it is a Triumph Model B), but it is not functional at the moment. It came with a Model C reproducer. I have various reproducers, but do not own a Model B for playing the brown wax.

Anyway, enjoy the photos.
Mike
Attachments
TRiumph5.jpg
Triumph6.jpg
Triumph8.jpg
Triumph9.jpg
TRiumph10.jpg
Triumph11.jpg
Triumph12.jpg
Triumph13.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Nice find! You'll have lots of fun with it. Jerry Blais

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

The phonograph does appear to be a fairly late Model B, with the later type of gold lining but retaining the end-gate which is not found on subsequent models: about 1908, I think, although others will probably be able to be more specific. By that time the 160 r.p.m. speed had been standardised for several years, although (as kirtley2012 has said) home-recording enthusiasts might well depart from this in order to gain more playing time.

The term 'musician', as applied a century ago, generally had a more serious meaning than it does today; it may well be that the non-commercial cylinders (if that is what they are, and if they are playable) will prove to contain something of greater than usual musical interest. In any event, I wish you luck with them!

Oliver Mundy.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Most White, Light Brown to Dark Brown wax cylinders play from 120 RPM to 144 RPM which should be played with an Earlier Edison "Automatic" Reproducer which used a glass ball stylus. Edison Black Wax and Albany Indestructibles (1905 and after) are 2 Minutes Cylinders and play at 160 RPM's which became the Industry and should be played with a "Model C" Reproducer with Sapphire Stylus for early External Horn machines (like your Triumph) and the 160RPM Cylinder Speed was Standard all the way through 1929 when everything ended. Later Amberola machines 1915 and Later (Which were 4 Minute Cylinder machines) used a Diamond Tipped Stylus or (Needle) and usually has a Diamond A, B or Diamond C Reproducer.

PS: What did you Pay for your whole score??? Please, Indulge us and let us know! ...So we can all be jealous!

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Thanks for the information. As for what I paid, all I'll admit was that I got overly excited and probably paid a bit too much, however I was quite happy about it after I met these people. I was glad to help them out. If it turns out that there are recoverable home recordings made by their ancestor here, it will make it all the better. I will wait until I find an appropriate reproducer for the brown wax, though.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

MikeB wrote:If it turns out that there are recoverable home recordings made by their ancestor here, it will make it all the better. I will wait until I find an appropriate reproducer for the brown wax, though.
Good for you to wait until you have the appropriate reproducer. You're a preservationist.

You should have little difficulty finding a Model B reproducer, which will typically sound a bit better than an Automatic (which it replaced), and both types were originally equipped with a sapphire ball stylus. Excellent reproduction Automatic reproducers are available on eBay for $200, but an original Model B should cost around $100-$125 for a good one.

Best of luck!

George P.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Your brown wax home recordings remind me of a repair I did years ago. A couple brought me an Edison Standard to repair. They also brought along some of the records they had. There were a couple of brown was ones. When I got the Standard repaired, I played the records. One of the brown wax records was a recording of their grand father talking about how things were going on the farm and the amount of acres he had planted. When they came over, I played it for them and they got very emotional.
I may have a rebuilt Edison B reproducer if you are still looking for one. PM me if you still need one.
Ken Brekke