Victor VI0V Questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Victor VI0V Questions

Post by phonogfp »

Sherwoodm wrote: Regarding the horn, I had wondered about this as it doesn’t really look like wood but I have searched the net and was not able to find information about any other material being used. I would appreciate a link if there is more information out there.
The Spaulding Linen Fibre Horn was advertised for some time in The Talking Machine World. Here's a page from the January 1908 issue:
Spaulding.jpg
Here's a closeup of the Spaulding advertisement:
Spaulding (2).jpg
George P.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

A third cousin had this machine which I think was purchased new by my great grandparents. It was destined to be sold by an auction gallery but when she found I was interested she offered it to me for a price I couldn’t resist.
I am so glad you have your family machine. It's the one thing I'll never have in my collection and it would mean so much to me. Jerry Blais

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

The Spaulding advert helps date the sale of the machine to 1908 or so and roughly correlates with the numbers in the Victor data book acc. to which serial nos. 4182 - 45813 were produced between 3/3/05 and 8/13/10.

As mentioned by others, it's really cool that it's been in your family all those years.

Sherwoodm
Victor Jr

Post by Sherwoodm »

Great information about the Horn. It does measure 21” across the front. Thanks very much and I will try to find a way to print the ad (and all the great information from folks in this forum) and keep it with the machine. Thanks again.
Sherwood

Sherwoodm
Victor Jr

Post by Sherwoodm »

It also neat that the horn was made in Rochester NH. I’m in VT.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Another small, but interesting period upgrade to your machine is the Improved Concert reproducer. Congratulations to your beautiful family heirloom. Like Jerry I will never have a phonograph that came through the family and I envy your for it.

Andreas

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

alang wrote:Another small, but interesting period upgrade to your machine is the Improved Concert reproducer.
Andreas,

I too thought at first it was an "Improved Concert" but if you click twice on the image, you'll see it's a conventional Exhibition, with a brush attached. :)

George P.

Sherwoodm
Victor Jr

Post by Sherwoodm »

Yes it’s an exhibition reproducer with brush attachment.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

phonogfp wrote:
alang wrote:Another small, but interesting period upgrade to your machine is the Improved Concert reproducer.
Andreas,

I too thought at first it was an "Improved Concert" but if you click twice on the image, you'll see it's a conventional Exhibition, with a brush attached. :)

George P.
Dang! Eyesight going down the drain as well :(

Thanks
Andreas

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

I live in New Hampshire and have visited the Bagshaw pin manufacturing company in Nashua that still makes steel needles. I didn't know there was a company making phonograph horns.