Electrola registry

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
startgroove
Victor III

Re: Electrola registry

Post by startgroove »

That's a very nice 101, Don. Maybe we could see pics of some of you guys other Electrola's and Radio Phonographs? I enjoy seeing other peeps stuff. Russie

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Well, with some very good help from Chuck A, my 331 Duo is up and running. Seems that the trip from NYC in the back of a VW Squareback on a car transport wasn't as kind to the electronics as we all would have hoped despite careful packing. Oh, well, it's all sorted out now thanks to Chuck.

I've been enjoying it- a lot. It's quite a bit more versatile that I was expecting... for example, I was expecting only records with the eccentric stopping groove would trigger the changer, but it works with Columbia, Brunswick, Gennett, Cameo, et al with the "flat" stopping groove as well.

The changer isn't as brutal on records as I expected (although I've been too much of a wuss to try a 12" stack yet!). I gave it a little help by sticking round felt tabs on the nubs the record slides on as well as any surfaces it comes in contact with during the change cycle. Once in awhile it loses a record during the "throw" which made for hair raising adventure. I've adjusted the depth of the "nub" in the throwing arm down a bit to compensate and so far so good.

I made a back for it and am designing a little unobtrusive folded wooden horn to fit under it in an attempt to capture some bass reflex from the open part of the front underside of the cabinet and direct it to the listener better.

Volume is adequate, but in my opinion could be a little greater as having the control ¾ of the way up is comfortable.

It would be great to get more volume and bass out of it but it is what it is- 1933 technology. I'm very impressed with the surface noise filtering properties of the playback.

The only thing I'd like to improve is to mitigate somehow the way the reject arm SLAMS back down on the record stack because sometimes this causes the pickup to skip in several grooves, especially on Program Transcriptions. A little dampening would work wonders.

I think this is my new favorite "go to" machine. I like the fact it'll change multiple brands of records, can handle 78 and 33,3 RPM, and will change both 10 and 12" records. Seems the best of all worlds really as far as an early changer goes.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

"Pics or it didn't happen":
Attachments
331 duo 001.jpg
331 duo 004.jpg
331 duo 005.jpg
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gemering
Victor IV

Victor Electrola 9-18

Post by gemering »

Here are some photos of my newest project.
Victrola 9-18 circa 1928
Price new - $925
Radio - Radiola 64
Speaker - electro-dynamic 8"
Attachments
9-18  5.jpg
9-18 5.jpg (54.51 KiB) Viewed 982 times
9-18 4.jpg
9-18 4.jpg (52.66 KiB) Viewed 982 times
9-18-8.jpg
9-18-8.jpg (38.17 KiB) Viewed 982 times
9-18-7.jpg