How to I align reproduced needle?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

How to I align reproduced needle?

Post by Mormon S »

Needle holder on my exhibition reproducer is slightly tilted. How to I align it without damaging it? Now I forcefully bend It? Do the 2 screws effects it's alignment

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: How to I align reproduced needle?

Post by Curt A »

Slightly tilted, how? A picture would help, but most likely you are talking about the needle bar having a slight bend and that can be fixed easily by carefully bending it back to its original shape, using your fingers or a small pair of needle nose pliers. Just be careful to use minimal pressure and gradually re-shape it, as opposed to forcefully bending it and possibly breaking it.

If you are talking about the portion that connects to the diaphragm with a small screw, it would be best to remove it before shaping it or you might damage the mica... If you remove it, be careful not to lose the screw or enlarge the hole in the mica. If you haven't replaced the rubber gaskets in the reproducer, now would be the time to do so. Also, check the mica for cracks or de-lamination and if necessary, replace it as well. Gaskets and mica are available from several sources, including Ron Sitko.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Post by pellicano1 »

Curt A wrote:Slightly tilted, how? A picture would help, but most likely you are talking about the needle bar having a slight bend and that can be fixed easily by carefully bending it back to its original shape, using your fingers or a small pair of needle nose pliers. Just be careful to use minimal pressure and gradually re-shape it, as opposed to forcefully bending it and possibly breaking it.

If you are talking about the portion that connects to the diaphragm with a small screw, it would be best to remove it before shaping it or you might damage the mica... If you remove it, be careful not to lose the screw or enlarge the hole in the mica. If you haven't replaced the rubber gaskets in the reproducer, now would be the time to do so. Also, check the mica for cracks or de-lamination and if necessary, replace it as well. Gaskets and mica are available from several sources, including Ron Sitko.
To add to all of this, I would check to see if the diaphragm is the proper size. Are you able to move the needle bar side to side? Again pics would help in this case so we can see exactly what direction the bend is.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Also make sure your tension springs are on correctly.
Dave D