It plays 78s...does this count?? New machine!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdisonWizard
Victor III

It plays 78s...does this count?? New machine!

Post by EdisonWizard »

Today I got myself a Seeburg 146 aka Trashcan! Got a really good deal on it and put it in a spot this afternoon.

Whatcha think?

Also if anyone knows anything about these, I’d like to know where/how to grease/oil it to keep it in top shape! Also, the last button can get stuck sometimes, can I spray some electronics lubricating grease on the button? It’s not all the time but the perfectionist in me is having a crisis lol.

Most of the records I have are acoustic, so I need some goody 40s records. It holds 20, so Al Jolson may make an appearance until I get some good Glenn Miller etc :-)
Attachments
EA9035C5-3BBC-4641-A2DB-A5B1B237ED11.jpeg
J.F.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: It plays 78s...does this count?? New machine!

Post by TinfoilPhono »

It definitely counts. Beautiful machine, and under-appreciated in my opinion.

In the Jane Mansfield movie "The Girl Can't Help It" a Seeburg trashcan is thrown down a flight of stairs.... Sacrilege. But when the movie was made it was obsolete, so the producers opted to trash a trashcan rather than show a then-modern Seeburg R or similar being destroyed.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

TinfoilPhono wrote:It definitely counts. Beautiful machine, and under-appreciated in my opinion.

In the Jane Mansfield movie "The Girl Can't Help It" a Seeburg trashcan is thrown down a flight of stairs.... Sacrilege. But when the movie was made it was obsolete, so the producers opted to trash a trashcan rather than show a then-modern Seeburg R or similar being destroyed.

Rene you do rememberr your jukes !....did people even want Silver age jukeboxs when you were collecting them? Don

Awesome 146 BTW

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

thank you! very excited about it. Regarding the lubrication...I found this picture online...but when printed the words are fuzzy...is there a way this can be cleaned up so I can print and laminate to keep in the machine? Ive ordered a manual but I want to get everything oiled and greased before I continue to play it...it probably hasn't been done in a very long time.
Attachments
oil card.png
oil card.png (219.86 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
J.F.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Do yourself a favor and buy a service manual from Victory Glass. They're not expensive and you'll have everything you need to know in one nice book.

That series of Seeburg mechanism is pretty bullet proof, so regular maintenance should be all it will ever need as long as you use it regularly and keep it oiled.

Nice machine, they sound great when properly done up.

Sean

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

you could try this free download

http://smartdeblur.net/

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

OrthoSean wrote:Do yourself a favor and buy a service manual from Victory Glass. They're not expensive and you'll have everything you need to know in one nice book.

That series of Seeburg mechanism is pretty bullet proof, so regular maintenance should be all it will ever need as long as you use it regularly and keep it oiled.

Nice machine, they sound great when properly done up.

Sean
That’s great to know! Bout to order now. It will definitely get played, don’t have to worry about that!
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Anyone know how to get the buttons off? I want to change the title strips as well as lubricate the button!
J.F.

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

EdisonWizard wrote:Anyone know how to get the buttons off? I want to change the title strips as well as lubricate the button!
You might want to try Mike Fulper at: http://ohioseeburgrepair.com/mainframe.htm

I have known Mike for years and years and he specializes in Seeburg jukebox restoration. Did a beautiful job on my Seeburg "Trash Can" or 145 if you wish; and has always done excellent restorations on other Seeburg machines for me--especially the very complicated Seeburg M100A's that I have.

He's a nice guy and has a lifetime of information. He isn't accepting new repairs any longer; as he is trying to work down the backlog he has, but he is a great guy to talk to and can probably answer your questions via phone or e-mail--both on his site. Good Luck! Mark Roberts

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

marco wrote:
EdisonWizard wrote:Anyone know how to get the buttons off? I want to change the title strips as well as lubricate the button!
You might want to try Mike Fulper at: http://ohioseeburgrepair.com/mainframe.htm

I have known Mike for years and years and he specializes in Seeburg jukebox restoration. Did a beautiful job on my Seeburg "Trash Can" or 145 if you wish; and has always done excellent restorations on other Seeburg machines for me--especially the very complicated Seeburg M100A's that I have.

He's a nice guy and has a lifetime of information. He isn't accepting new repairs any longer; as he is trying to work down the backlog he has, but he is a great guy to talk to and can probably answer your questions via phone or e-mail--both on his site. Good Luck! Mark Roberts

Thanks!! I’ll give him a call tomorrow!
J.F.