Rebuilding an Edison R reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Rebuilding an Edison R reproducer

Post by phonogal »

I need to rebuild an Edison R reproducer. The hinge block is broken and I need to get it apart to drill out the broken hinge block screw. Of course the top is pot metal and swollen. I have removed the 3 screws on the back and I'm assuming the top should just come off after they are removed. Seems like it is just pressed on . Is this correct or am I missing something?

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Re: Rebuilding an Edison R reproducer

Post by MicaMonster »

The tops expand....and seize in the bottom bezel, which is brass. It isn’t fun, but it can be removed and replaced with a brass unit from Ron Sitko. Removing the pot metal top will most likely lead to it getting damaged along the way, depending on how intact the metal is. I’ve been able to save the original pot metal tops only 2 times in my repair life. The metal is Soooooooooo badly formulated.
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Re: Rebuilding an Edison R reproducer

Post by phonogal »

MicaMonster wrote:The tops expand....and seize in the bottom bezel, which is brass. It isn’t fun, but it can be removed and replaced with a brass unit from Ron Sitko. Removing the pot metal top will most likely lead to it getting damaged along the way, depending on how intact the metal is. I’ve been able to save the original pot metal tops only 2 times in my repair life. The metal is Soooooooooo badly formulated.
Thanks. That's what I thought. Jan