Stylus for Edison C 19

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
NavyPadre
Victor Jr

Stylus for Edison C 19

Post by NavyPadre »

I am rebuilding an Edison C 19. The stylus is worn and I need a new diaphragm. What is the best way to get a new stylus? Is there a to convert to needle?

Tom Cook
Forest Grove, Oregon

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Stylus for Edison C 19

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Welcome to the forum!
If you plan to have just one Edison Disc player, and want to get excellent results from the start, I recommend contacting Steve Medvid, a well-respected expert on rebuilds. He has the best new diamond stylii and replacement diaphragms and gaskets. A new stylus costs in the neighborhood of $100.00, I believe, but gives better results than trying to find a used one through other outlets and Ebay. There is no way to use other types of steel or jewel replacements.

Here's his contact email info:

steve_noreen@msn.com

Good luck!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

Welcome to the group!

The above advice is excellent.

You cannot play Edison records on your C-19 with anything but an Edison reproducer with the diamond stylus in good working order. A steel needle will very quickly destroy an Edison record. On the other hand, the Edison diamond stylus will destroy a regular 78 rpm record (Victor, Columbia, Brunswick, etc.). There are lateral adaptors available that will allow you to play regular 78s on your C-19. They are usually under $100 and will lend a whole new dimension to your listening enjoyment.

Do you have a picture of your machine?

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

NavyPadre
Victor Jr

Post by NavyPadre »

Cliff, my C 19 is all apart right now. Lots of wood repair, but the machine looks fine. I do have to repair the reproducer though. How can I get an adapter to play regular 78's? Does it take the place of the diamond stylus?

I am an antique furniture restorer....but I do have a mechanical background. I had a Brunswick some time ago...used needles. So this is new to me. Don't want to restore to pristine/original because the cabinet is a little rough. Just want to get it to play 78's.

Thanks, Tom Cook
Forest Grove, Oregon

NavyPadre
Victor Jr

Post by NavyPadre »

Cliff, can you direct me where to buy an adapter from the diamond stylus to a needle for my C 19? Thanks, Tom Cook Forest Grove, Oregon

pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Post by pellicano1 »

I am going to echo some of the others with Steve Medved. He added a great diamond styli to my needle bar. Also I would highly suggest acquiring the diaphragm from Larry H. He is on this site if you search! He makes a great True Tone diaphragm. I rebuilt my reproducer for my C150 using both! Amazing results!!
Here is a sample:
https://youtu.be/BKnV-k4mANQ
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

NavyPadre wrote:Cliff, can you direct me where to buy an adapter from the diamond stylus to a needle for my C 19? Thanks, Tom Cook Forest Grove, Oregon
The lateral adaptor is a separate device from the Edison reproducer. Edison had nothing to do with making these, he was adamant that ONLY Edison records should be played on his diamond disc machines. However, there were other folks who thought it would be a good idea to be able to play regular 78s on an Edison machine, so there were several companies who made adaptors that would fit right in where the Edison reproducer goes.

I have a little shop in Castle Rock WA (I-5 Exit 49) where I repair old phonographs. I have 2 or 3 different styles of these adaptors if you would like to make a trip up here. Forest Grove isn't too far away. I'm just north of Longview.

Ebay and the Yankee Trader section of this forum are also good sources for these. Usually they are under $100. Sorta makes an Edison phonograph an all purpose machine.

Cliff

CDBPDX
Victor V

Post by CDBPDX »

Here is a video of a lateral adaptor on an Edison diamond disc phonograph.

https://youtu.be/raCtKXX244s

Cliff

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Vaughn Monroe sounds like a cross between Bing Crosby and Dean Martin almost...lol...

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

NEFaurora wrote:Vaughn Monroe sounds like a cross between Bing Crosby and Dean Martin almost...lol...

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer
Or maybe Bing and Slim Whitman...

:D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek