Columbia 720 grille cloth

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
BillH_NJ
Victor II

Columbia 720 grille cloth

Post by BillH_NJ »

I recently acquired a Columbia 720 Viva-Tonal. The phonograph and cabinet are in reasonably good condition but there is no cloth behind the grille. What would the most appropriate replacement grille cloth be for the 720?

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Columbia 720 grille cloth

Post by marcapra »

I also own a 720 Viva Tonal Columbia from 1927. They are rare machines. Mine will be for sale at the APS show next weekend. It has the original grille cloth I think and it is an old gold color similar to what you would see on a Victrola Credenza. Look on Ebay for radio grille cloth and you will see some that might work for you. Also they will send samples for free. Avoid the cheap cloth sold on Ebay as Edison and Victrola grille cloth.

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

Is the texture and weave similar to the cloth on my Credenza and 8-12?

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Ask for samples to see. I haven't seen any yet. Samples are in the mail. From the pics, the cloth appears to be thicker than the original, but they say it's acoustically transparent. Is it going to be a perfect match? NO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Radio- ... itleDesc=0

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Also: http://www.radiodaze.com/grille-cloth/ #44 is pretty good, color-wise, though #02 seems finer.

Also,also -- http://www.antiquephono.com/victor.htm They still list the Orthophonic grill cloth. The price indicated is for a full size Credenza horn, but other sizes are available.

OF

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

Thanks. I’ve never seen another 720 so I don’t know what the color and weave should be. I only know what I’ve seen on Victors and Edisons.

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

I wish Antique Phono would show a picture of the orthophonic grille cloth. Do they send samples? Marc.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

marcapra wrote:I wish Antique Phono would show a picture of the orthophonic grille cloth. Do they send samples? Marc.
I know they sent me a very tiny sample when I bought a grill cloth from them for a Consolette I used to own, but that was nearly 30 years ago. You might try contacting them via the email jump at the very bottom of the page. Perhaps, if nothing else, they could send you a detailed digital photo.

OF