Edison A200 vs. Edison C19 Diamond Disc phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Calle
Victor O

Edison A200 vs. Edison C19 Diamond Disc phonograph

Post by Calle »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the difference between an Edison model A200 and model C19 phonograph; does it have the same horn and motor ?
Which one would you prefer ?

Thanks in advance !

P.s.
What is about the value of an Edison A200 ?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison A200 vs. Edison C19 Diamond Disc phonograph

Post by phonogfp »

The C 19 has a two-mainspring motor (the A 200 has one), and the C 19 has a larger horn. If testing with the same reproducer, here's no question the C 19 would sound better. Of course a bad reproducer will change everything.

The A 200 is a rarer machine, so an advanced collector would probably find it more interesting. Check the bedplate's paint, though - the maroon finish is notorious for sometimes flaking off.

George P.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Seems like a lot of those A 200 Edison disc machines are showing recently. At Union they had a number that sold for around 300 but some even at 200 didn't move. My Jacobean has the single spring and just doesn't have the staying power on records that the usual 250 horn machines would have.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I agree with George. The C-19 is going to sound somewhat better and is more robust with the double spring motor. However the A-200 will still sound very good. Below is a video of my A-150 which I have here in Prague. It has the same motor, horn and grill as the 200.

Regarding price, I'd pay more than $300 for a real nice one, especially in oak and especially if you can find them in Europe.

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y9R09s4Tdg[/youtubehd]

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Bruce, very nice sounding DD march and nice looking A150. I was at first confused when you said the A150 has the same grille. But, yes it does have the same grille as the A-200 known as the Queen Anne model. But I was thinking of the C-200 Adam, that has three ovals and two backward facing Cs.