RCA VICTOR Phono/Radio Model ??

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
startgroove
Victor III

Re: RCA VICTOR Phono/Radio Model ??

Post by startgroove »

Hmm, our RAE-84 has that big weight, but the RAE-26 and RAE-59 have smaller weight which fits on top of the tone-arm. Pics below show the two weights, the RAE-84 tone arm is the second photo.
Attachments
IMG_4070.JPG
IMG_4070.JPG (103.06 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
IMG_4069.JPG
IMG_4069.JPG (127.98 KiB) Viewed 1075 times

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

same on my RAE 26 ......I really like te 26’s cabinet

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

Finally managed to get a video of the phonograph playing. Took it outside for the shoot and it was pretty loud. Hope the neighbors don't mind...

https://youtu.be/n05tldBfEhw
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I'm sure everyone knows this, but just to be clear these early 33 rpm machines cannot play the much later 33 rpm vinyl LPs with microgroove that was invented by Columbia in 1948.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

they can’t!?.....the Victor program transcriptions are pretty nifty.....some syndacated radio shows were on 12 inch 33 ⅓ discs

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

The heavier weight reduces the tracking force from just over 6oz to just under 3oz

The later models like the R-99 used a very small counter weight but added an adjustable spring tensioner under the tonearm to lower the tracking force.

Chuck

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

Where does the antenna go?
Attachments
RCAV-RE19_0008.JPG

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Should be a yellow and black wire coming from the front of the radio chassis. The black wire is antenna and yellow is ground.

Chuck

CDBPDX
Victor V

Post by CDBPDX »

ChuckA wrote:Should be a yellow and black wire coming from the front of the radio chassis. The black wire is antenna and yellow is ground.

Chuck
Chuck - There are 2 extra wires that appear to be coming from the middle of the chassis on the top, right in the center area of the tubes. One could be black, the other is kind of yellow/gold. I couldn't figure out what these were for so I just set them aside. Didn't know if they had current going through them or not. I'll attach some additional wire to the black wire tomorrow and see what happens. Does the ground wire go to the chassis or actual earth?

Cool! Thanks!

ChuckA
Victor III

Post by ChuckA »

Just leave the ground wire disconnected. Add about 10' of wire to the antenna lead which should be enough to
get reception on local stations and more if the set has been restored and aligned.

Chuck