Selling at the APS show for the first time

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Selling at the APS show for the first time

Post by Phonofreak »

Wasn't sure by the picture. What ever it was, I sure would like to know the prices on that one and the two Columbia machines.
Harvey Kravitz
gramophone-georg wrote:[*]
Phonofreak wrote:Thanks for posting the pictures. I am curious of the prices of three machines.
1. HMV Model 32
2. Columbia Top Wind AJ
3. Columbia Harvard Client Machine
Harvey kravitz
Harv- I don't think that's a 32. I have a 32 and it has an oak "pyramid" cabinet... that looks like a "Colonial" model.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Well I found the IU on Bay Area CL and traded it to a buddy and he traded it to a audio collector in the east bay then to Peter !,when i got it .....the records were better than machine! a few Ermine Calloway and other late DD ‘s....it is a beautiul machine ! :) ......
Are you saying that Peter Fraser owns an IU-19? He never mentioned it to me. Wow, I'll have to ask him for some pics! When did you find one in the Bay Area? Marc.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

OMG I thought he sold one!.....if that is NOT the case the I mis interpret what was posted !....we both know someone with one,the one I found....in 2011.....let me ask the guy who HAD or HAS it

SousaBand
Victor Jr

Post by SousaBand »

From what I experienced the show was a raging success! I sold more things than I ever had, ranging from portables to rarer records to paper items and more. I talked to several dealers who sold every machine they brought (mostly table tops and portables although several nice outside horn machines found a new home too). One even sold 11 uprights! How about a fairly early Edison Home with a correct, original tag crank, automatic reproducer and all brass horn. Selling price? $450!! Perhaps most telling, there was a large crowd of people there and folks were buying almost to the end of the show on Sunday. A huge positive was the number of younger, first time buyers. They asked great questions and many walked out with a machine, records or parts needed to complete a project.

The banquet and program were steller as well! All in all a super weekend in SoCal (and that's sayin' a lot!)

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Ok you can quit talking about me behind my back now, I've caught up on sleep and checking back in here.

I never owned an IU-19, although I found one in the wild about 20 years ago in SF, for a friend. Best part of that was that he was completely uninterested in the Motrola electric winder that had been installed on it, and since the original long crank was present he gave me the Motrola.

I really dislike winding phonographs.

My friend still has the IU-19, and it does not have Don's fingerprints on it.

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

The APS show for me was a complete success. I had packed light, in order to bring back an item that was supposed to make it to the show that I paid for. But due to a miss measuring of the sellers vehicle it did not make it. I had brought 3 machines and around 250 DD records. One machine sold to a APS member as I was taking it out of the truck. 2 others sold to first time buyers. One was a single older woman, the other to a couple. Yes, I did spend more time with them showing how to operate, oil and where to clean. I took them over to other vender's who had cylinders or records to sell that I know. I showed them what a reamer was. These were all machines that I started with- a Victor victrola IX, an Amberola 30 and 50. None were over $400 and I sold 2 machines for less than I paid for them 10 years ago. buty broke even on the 3. I sold about half of my duplicate DD's and I was pleased with that.

I have noted that several people talked about making or loosing money. Living in Arizona this is the closest show that I can attend. I could go alone, but most folks who know me will tell you that even with GPS I get lost in my backyard. So my wife is my co-pilot. There are more folks moving to AZ and there are a few that are into phonographs so currently this trip costs about $500 for us. That is gas, food and hotel-not including the shows cost or meal if we do attend the evening program. That could get less if I partner with someone-but my wife has met some of the other spouses and she might not want to give it up. But for most of those that are venders or attend the show there is very little up front costs because they live in the area.

The APs Board elected to spend money on advertising the show this year and attendance on Sunday was the strongest that I had ever seen in 15 years. The lady and the couple came because they heard about it "somewhere" so the advertising worked and I would like to congratulate the board for that effort.

For some this is a business and that's OK and some of them, in fact most of them work very hard at making the show a good one. I have never gotten tired of coming to it, and enjoy the brief time that I spend with those I have gotten to know. Yes money is an issue as I have retired and live on a reduced income but still factor this into our budget because I enjoy it so much.

While my real passion is the work I do for Rotary International and my Rotary Club to make the Human Condition better for all around the world the small world of antique phonographs and those involved lights up my life and for that this show and the people involved have my thanks.

Abe