Selling at the APS show for the first time

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MikeB
Victor II

Selling at the APS show for the first time

Post by MikeB »

I'll be selling for the first time at the APS show this weekend. Is there anything that I should know? Bringing an Edison Standard B, Standard E, Home B 2/4 minute machine, Victrola VI, discs and cylinders, a couple of horns; whatever I can fit in my mid-size car. Nothing scarce except for maybe the Standard E. I'm also bringing the portable Columbia I have that came out of "Wrong Way" Corrigan's garage. The Corrigan machine is not for sale, but will just there for a fun conversation piece. Looking forward to meeting you guys...

See you tomorrow!
Mike

Jwb88
Victor II

Re: Selling at the APS show for the first time

Post by Jwb88 »

I can't offer any help, but I will say I'm in the same boat. I'm going to sell for the first time tomorrow, too. It was very last minute (I decided to do so Thursday. Yes. I mean yesterday-Thursday). I don't have much to bring and I don't expect to sell anything, so how can I go wrong?!?

Glad you're bringing that portable! I'd like to see it just for fun. See you tomorrow!

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I'm bringing several phonographs to sell, the grandest of which is a fine oak Amberola 1A with Diamond A rep., Columbia Viva-Tonal model 720 (rare one), Victrola 8-9, Garrard turntable c. 1950, Edison P-1 portable, etc. See all of you there tomorrow! Marc.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Did you have success selling any of your machines at the APS Show?

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Business looked booming. I sold more than I expected, but no machines. Since it's $40 a person to get in Saturday, it was pretty much all dealers and serious collectors, and so mostly the rare machines were the ones that got interest. I think Sunday ($5 admission) would get more real buyers for the more common machines. I'm not able to make it tomorrow, unfortunately.

I had lots of fun and bought many neglected machines to tinker with and get running tip-top, which is what I enjoy doing. My project list is long. I also bought lots of diamond discs, because a clean diamond disc sounds oh so good. There were some great floor models, as always, at great prices. Too bad I'm full. No room at the inn. :?

I thought it was a bit quieter this year--meaning there was less music. Maybe it was just the area I was around mostly. I was tempted to play one of my machines (mostly to show off my reproducer rebuilding skills, if I may toot my own horn) but I was an idiot and didn't bring any period records with me. All I had were lots of rare 1950s R&B 78s to sell, and I couldn't play those with a steel needle. Kudos to all of you who played some good stuff. The best sound I heard was from an ortho portable and Marc's Victrola 8-9. Marc, your machines were awesome, and that Italian Umbrian Edison was so much more beautiful in person than I expected. If you ever decide to sell that... :)

I had to leave early and I didn't get to talk with so many people. If I missed you, I'm really sorry. Next year I'm doing the whole thing, maybe just as a buyer so I can enjoy it more. They'll have to throw me out. Have fun!

-John

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

If anyone wants to share photos, please do! I forgot to take photos most of the time and so overlooked some of the fantastic and rare machines, but at least this will give those who did not attend a rough idea.
Attachments
IMG_9228.JPG
IMG_9229.JPG
IMG_9210.JPG
IMG_9215.JPG
IMG_9214.JPG
IMG_9213.JPG
IMG_9212.JPG
IMG_9216.JPG
IMG_9219.JPG
IMG_9217.JPG
IMG_9225.JPG
IMG_9222.JPG
IMG_9224.JPG
IMG_9220.JPG
IMG_9227.JPG

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I'm noticing the "repurposed" LPs in the 3rd picture... who let the Etsyites in? :shock:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Those were mine. I have no shame. :D

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Jwb88 wrote:Those were mine. I have no shame. :D
:x
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Thanks John for posting your photos and the info. Those of us that couldn’t go really appreciate it. Btw, what did you repurpose those records into? Hats, leaky bowls, lamp shades?