U Ship. com

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

U Ship. com

Post by need4art »

Well the shipper I had used in the past is gone, another that I have tried to use is never going to go where I need them to go and the 3rd well just lets say that I am breathless over the price.

I have bought a Brunswick machine from Paul (Victor Victrola Page) and need to get it from his new home in Greer S.C. to AZ it not huge but has skinny legs and a single strainer. If I am lucky we may be able to work something out with Steve Oliphant if Paul and he connect for some reason. But I am trying for a plan B

I posted on U Ship .com and got one contact. He has 3 referrals 1-good, 1 pass-he did not show up 1-neg-he keep changing the price. The unit is a late 20's electronic machine and Paul will take out tubes tie everything down and blanket wrap well.

My question is has anyone used U ship and what are your thoughts?

Abe

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: U Ship. com

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Just like sellers on eBay vastly differ, so do shippers on uship. My experience has been mostly good. Except for the time a shipper completely destroyed a both a Lincoln Continental and a Colony Park I was shipping from Colorado because he didn’t know how to operate his trailer properly.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

When I liquidated the vast Dr. Z collection, I was suffering with a bad knee (since replaced), thus I chose to advertise some of the large items (such as a Mills Violano, Seeburg Nickelodeon, etc.) for local pickup only. Many of the buyers opted to use U-Ship, and indeed, to my knowledge all of the items were successfully delivered across the U.S.

HOWEVER, I must say that I was somewhat appalled by the unprofessionality of several of the U-Ship haulers. They showed up in beat-up pickup trucks towing even worse-looking trailers. None could provide a proper receipt, proof of insurance, or Bill of Lading. But as I had nothing to do with their engagement, I went along with the program. I did, however, take pictures of the loading, license plates, etc., in case anything went awry. Thankfully, nothing did.

On the other hand, I had bought a Sonora Supreme in Wisconsin, and I put it out for bids on U-Ship, and the responding winning bidder was totally professional. He provided pictures of his rig, references, etc. And the outcome was fast, efficient and cost-effective. I will use him again whenever I have the opportunity.

Bottom line is, U-Ship is a great resource, but care must be taken to select the right hauler.

Raphael

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I had to use UShip to get my old Victor III from Denver to Lake City S.C. without having to undertake a Colorado roadtrip. The driver and I used Uship to get in touch but then decided to communicate through eMail and telephone rather than by using the exorbitant fees of the website. (Hey, twenty bucks is twenty bucks!)

He took a while to cross the country--truck boiled over somewhere near Washington, lots of drop-offs and whatnot--but he finally arrived three hours late. Hey, no sweat! Consider he drove over a thousand miles...

Fee was I believe $180. The Victor, in its old wooden hard-case, was sitting on the back seat of a crewcab GMC with parcels, hunting rifles, and all manner of deliveries. I was glad for the case--it's an exhibit now but it served well to protect the Victor one last time on an epic journey.

And that's why I wouldn't recommend Uship, but I would recommend Paul Wilcox Trucking out of New Jersey for all dump truck needs as well as long-distance phono-wrangling. He has a modern truck and a large enclosed trailer so he could probably even tow small cars like old Fords in there if he had to.