Edison A-250 Blue Plate Special?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Edison A-250 Blue Plate Special?

Post by DGPros »

Hey Guys, A friend of mine recently showed me his A-250. The bedplate has a blue color on the outside of the pin striping and it can be seen in the chipped areas. I am not so sure how well the color will come through here, but I was wondering if it is a primer, as the brown does look to be original. Has anyone come across something like this, or any ideas on what it may be. The 1st picture has a black bracket just to show contrast in colors. Thanks for your input.

Gary

ps(I do believe he is selling it, if anyone is interested)
Attachments
Black bracket
Black bracket
thumbnail_IMG_3270.jpg (73.77 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
thumbnail_IMG_3269.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3269.jpg (74.88 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
thumbnail_IMG_3268.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3268.jpg (96.65 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
thumbnail_IMG_3267.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3267.jpg (73.77 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: Edison A-250 Blue Plate Special?

Post by audiophile102 »

Here is a picture of my A250 bed plate. Just bare metal under the flaking paint.
A250 8.jpg
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The blue makes you wonder if it was some ill advised attempt at a touchup. If that machine were mine and I wanted to keep the deck as unrestored, I would take a Q-tip, dip it in lacquer thinner and try in a small spot which would normally be hidden under the turntable. Lacquer thinner will help remove more recent paint while leaving old paint. I would suggest wearing protective gloves and avoid the original paint. Jerry B.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

This is the 1st I've seen with the blue paint and I've seen about a dozen in person. It just struck me odd that it must be a repaint, though it does look like original on top. Even the pin striping looks original(as far as I can tell.) I may have him try your idea with the lacquer thinner Jerry. Thanks
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

Edison should have done a better job of prepping the metal on those earlier bedplates. I worked for a guy back in the 1980's that started painting back in the 1920's and did wood graining for the Packard company for awhile in the 30's. Bill was over here one day and saw an A-250 I had sitting here and the first thing he said was, whoever was painting those at the factory didn't clean that iron the way they should have. Bill figured they put an oil film on the iron castings or something to keep them from rusting when they left the foundry. When it came time to finish them they weren't cleaned properly and eventually the paint let go. It probably didn't cause them much trouble when they were new though. I told him that all of them seemed to do that, and he gave them credit for being "uniformly wrong". Bill had his ideas about things, but I think he was probably right on these bedplates.