Move over Union here comes APS!!!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Move over Union here comes APS!!!

Post by Jerry B. »

I agree with George completely. The point of my first post was to say that APS has hit on something that works by drawing new people to the sale. At Union there has been fewer and fewer buyers that line up for regular admission on Saturday. Sunday at Union has been just plain dismal. At Union it feels like we are just selling to each other. Not for one moment did I feel like we were just selling to each other at APS. I sold ten machines last weekend. Nine of the ten went to persons that I had never seen before.

Union is still the Big Daddy of phono sales but I think it, and every other sale, could learn from the success of APS.

Jerry Blais

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Jerry B. wrote:I agree with George completely. The point of my first post was to say that APS has hit on something that works by drawing new people to the sale. At Union there has been fewer and fewer buyers that line up for regular admission on Saturday. Sunday at Union has been just plain dismal. At Union it feels like we are just selling to each other. Not for one moment did I feel like we were just selling to each other at APS. I sold ten machines last weekend. Nine of the ten went to persons that I had never seen before.

Union is still the Big Daddy of phono sales but I think it, and every other sale, could learn from the success of APS.

Jerry Blais
The other takeaway is that the hobby is NOT "dying". ;)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

OrthoSean wrote:
HisMastersVoice wrote:I'd much rather stand next to these guys at the record boxes than socially awkward middle-aged men who haven't showered in days.
Or weeks...

Sean
Ummm try going to the WFMU record fair .......take a gas mask :( er sorry

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

This honestly makes me really happy. I couldn't be there Sunday but I'm really glad there were lots of newbies. It's fantastic news.

I typically avoid commenting on odors, but my God, I thought I was the only one who noticed this issue... :?

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

A good buddy of mine sells in. A collective (radios) and gets regular repair work on radio phono sets people are in general interested in phonographs because of vinyl being so popular,I can even get some to buy things like VV XI’s to play records do you think being in California helps the show ?.the advertising has more people to grab

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Jwb88 wrote:This honestly makes me really happy. I couldn't be there Sunday but I'm really glad there were lots of newbies. It's fantastic news.

I typically avoid commenting on odors, but my God, I thought I was the only one who noticed this issue... :?
Are you saying that the hobby is not dying... it just smells like it?

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Vinrage_mania wrote:
OrthoSean wrote:
HisMastersVoice wrote:I'd much rather stand next to these guys at the record boxes than socially awkward middle-aged men who haven't showered in days.
Or weeks...

Sean
Ummm try going to the WFMU record fair .......take a gas mask :( er sorry
LOL. Record shows. I think most of these people are unwashed vampires. Lots of them actually seem startled by sunlight!

They are also startled by and socially awkward with anything except the subject of records.

ColoradoPhonograf
Victor II

Post by ColoradoPhonograf »

Good observation of the California marketplace and the marketing of the event.
This whole hobby of ours has to embrace and promote social media sites to keep in touch with current events and interests. We are sitting out in in the yard spinning 78's and nobody hears us. Youtube has been a good outlet but it's a bigger world out there. We have to go into their backyards which is Facebook, instragram, etc. Social media could keep this hobby alive with new interactive conversations and historical stories which could bring back interests in cylinder recordings, etc.. Every picture I see of a phono event has nothing but hunch backed old gray haired guys.That's gotta change.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

ColoradoPhonograf wrote: We have to go into their backyards which is Facebook, instragram, etc. Social media could keep this hobby alive with new interactive conversations and historical stories which could bring back interests in cylinder recordings, etc..
There are a number of Facebook groups devoted to antique phonographs and records. The APS has sponsored a Facebook Page for years:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/phonograph/#

There's also the Antique Phonograph Enthusiasts Facebook Page (which I rarely visit):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/phonoenthusiasts/about/

There are many others. Some of these groups can be rather painful to read, since for many there's often an urge to impart information before actually learning it. Still, some of these groups are Petri dishes for budding serious collectors. We all went through a learning curve of basic information (and hopefully the learning never stops) and online groups can encourage newcomers.

George P.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

phonogfp wrote:
ColoradoPhonograf wrote: We have to go into their backyards which is Facebook, instragram, etc. Social media could keep this hobby alive with new interactive conversations and historical stories which could bring back interests in cylinder recordings, etc..
There are a number of Facebook groups devoted to antique phonographs and records. The APS has sponsored a Facebook Page for years:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/phonograph/#

There's also the Antique Phonograph Enthusiasts Facebook Page (which I rarely visit):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/phonoenthusiasts/about/

There are many others. Some of these groups can be rather painful to read, since for many there's often an urge to impart information before actually learning it. Still, some of these groups are Petri dishes for budding serious collectors. We all went through a learning curve of basic information (and hopefully the learning never stops) and online groups can encourage newcomers.

George P.

IMHO this is a unique time ....for the last 20 years the *Younger* people have existed in a Pixel haze totally void of real tactel
Interaction (except thier cell phones) and computers.....that needs to change and I think it is slowly .....real objects like LPs are new for these people ....a CD is very sterile....although less than an MP3 and you own it ...the same can be said for the machines .....antiques that do something inspire thought ....get that at IKEA..... :) it is the will of Landru.....lol