Question for Victor collectors

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Question for Victor collectors

Post by jboger »

Are any parts interchangeable between a Victor III and late-modeI II? In particular the tone arm and horn elbow? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Question for Victor collectors

Post by Jerry B. »

Good question... I owned a late Victor II with a double spring Victrola motor but it went down the road. I'd say the common parts would be the brake assembly, 10" stamped sheet metal turntable, and Victrola 2 sound box. I'd expect the elbow and tone arm to be different for the duration of each model. Jerry Blais

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Too bad. I have Victor III parts and the opportunity to buy a Victor II sans tonearm and horn elbow. I don't know. It seems chasing after missing parts is a tale that has no end because the missing parts are seldom or never found. And if you do, the cost is far greater than if one simply bought the machine complete. Oh well.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I'd also add that there was always a dividing line between any Victor II and any III. With a Victor III you get a powerful double spring motor, good size horn, and the same tone arm as the top of the line Victor VI. The Victor III performed as well as any Victor in the lineup. Those qualities and a modest price made the III a very popular purchase and many were sold. Those same qualities make the Victor III a perfect choice for todays buyers. With that said, the humpback Victor II will always be one of my favorites. Any when you're a machine collector the only limit is space.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Too bad. I have Victor III parts and the opportunity to buy a Victor II sans tonearm and horn elbow. I don't know. It seems chasing after missing parts is a tale that has no end because the missing parts are seldom or never found. And if you do, the cost is far greater than if one simply bought the machine complete. Oh well.
How late is the Victor II? If you buy a project that takes the late slide in elbow you need to go it with both eyes open. If it's a plain case II needing a clip in elbow (using a clip & screw) that's very doable. Any very late Victor horn machines that utilizes Victrola parts could be a very daunting long term project.

Jerry B.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

The only common parts for a Victor II or Victor III, late or early was the turntable, bullet brake, speed control, bracket bolts, etc. The bracket plate is unique to the Humpback Victor II. Also, the Humpback Victor II has the bullet brake without the full size bottom plate like the later Victor II and other machines. The arms, back bracket, and elbows are completely different. The Victor II has smaller parts than the Victor III. The Victor III parts you have are worth their weight in gold. Be patient and Victor II parts will show up. Also, the 19" petal horn was used on the Victor II and Victor III. Is your Victor II an early one or a late one?
Harvey Kravitz

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I don't own the Victor II, at least not yet. Thinking about it. It is a late one, not the humpback. Has a very broad base due to the wide molding. It is missing the horn, tone arm, reproducer, and elbow, which I think is a slip-in one. Even with major parts missing, I don't like parting things out. If I buy it--not sure about price yet--I'm in for the long haul. Not sure what to do. Although I'm sorely tempted to do so, I can not save every machine that passes my way. The Victor II interests me more than the III because I believe it to be less common, although I'm not really sure about that. So still mulling this over. Thanks to both of you for your input.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

The Victor II interests me more than the III because I believe it to be less common
If you made a list from most common to least common for the Victors I through VI, it would be:

Victor II. 166,966
Victor III. 164,701
Victor I. 116,318
Victor V. 68,582
Victor IV. 54,672
Victor VI. 17,468

Figures are the Baumbach's Victor Data Book

Jerry Blais

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

So more Victor IIs were made than any of these other models. In the three or four years I've been looking for these things, I have seen a couple of Vic O's, two I's, several III's, no IV's, at least one V, and a couple of VI's. But that doesn't say anything about relative rarity, just what crosses my path.

By the way, the single most common external horn machine I run across is by far is the first version of the Standard Model A. Almost always the horn has terrible paint loss and peeling nickel plating.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

jboger wrote:I don't own the Victor II, at least not yet. Thinking about it. It is a late one, not the humpback. Has a very broad base due to the wide molding. It is missing the horn, tone arm, reproducer, and elbow, which I think is a slip-in one. Even with major parts missing, I don't like parting things out. If I buy it--not sure about price yet--I'm in for the long haul. Not sure what to do. Although I'm sorely tempted to do so, I can not save every machine that passes my way. The Victor II interests me more than the III because I believe it to be less common, although I'm not really sure about that. So still mulling this over. Thanks to both of you for your input.

The slip in elbow is a mite difficult to find, but the 1 ⅜" elbows used on the late Victor I and Victor II machines are considerably easier to fins than the 1 ⅝" slip ins used on the late III or the late V. If the back bracket has a crossbar the tone arm used on the first fiver or six variants of the Victrola IV, Victrola VI, or Victrola VII will fit. If not, the extremely common ball bearing arm used on the late versions of the IV, VI, or VII will do.