Edisonic Schubert purchase

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jimmy47
Victor Jr

Edisonic Schubert purchase

Post by jimmy47 »

I am about to purchase an Edisonic Schubert. The case is missing part of the door and has some damage to the knobs on the legs. Everything mechanically appears to be there and works. The price is ridiculously cheap—-$50. The exterior of the cabinet will need restoration. Considering the rarity, is the restoration worth it. I do not want to part out.

larryh
Victor IV

Re: Edisonic Schubert purchase

Post by larryh »

Sounds like a good winter project. If its in you ability to do the restoration then I would go for it. My upright Chippendale only cost 25.00 but it took me quite some time to get everything the way I wanted it, which was to look original.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Nope, not worth it. I’ll give you $100 to take it off your hands...

An Edisonic would be one of the few exceptions to break my current “No more floor models” rule. Great machine, I’m sure you can improve it and with its relative rarity it’ll feel good!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Welcome to the forum, Jimmy!

I congratulate you on your worthy undertaking. Saving a Schubert from the dumpster -- or whatever other terrible end it might meet -- is appreciated by those who would save history from extinction.

Please post some photos of your Schubert as you progress, and if you're willing to take the time, there are 2 data collection posts here at the Talking Machine Forum; if you're willing, Ralph (I'm sure he would, though I hesitate to speak for him), and I would appreciate your participation in them.

Here are links to both Ralph's data collection, and mine:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=16654
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=24028

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

A Schubert Edisonic is definitely a great phono. I have two, with one of them amputated. A friend sent me a set of legs with the stays, but I'm still missing the cross stretcher. I don't care because I keep "Shorty" in my bedroom and get great sound from it. By the way here's a little known fact about Schuberts. They were originally created to be called the Long Play "Consolette"model. They were going to be the fifth model of Long Play Edisons. They are rare, but I have seen one Schubert that has the decal saying: The New Edison on it, instead of The Edisonic. Apparently, by the time they were going to fit the new Consolette models with the Long Play mechanisms, the company had realized the Long Play records were a failure, so they decided to create the new Edisonic machines. That's why the maker's plate has CLT on it instead of SCB.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I have an extra pair of Schubert doors, and some misc trim and other bits, if that will help you.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

marcapra wrote:A Schubert Edisonic is definitely a great phono. I have two, with one of them amputated. A friend sent me a set of legs with the stays, but I'm still missing the cross stretcher. I don't care because I keep "Shorty" in my bedroom and get great sound from it. By the way here's a little known fact about Schuberts. They were originally created to be called the Long Play "Consolette"model. They were going to be the fifth model of Long Play Edisons. They are rare, but I have seen one Schubert that has the decal saying: The New Edison on it, instead of The Edisonic. Apparently, by the time they were going to fit the new Consolette models with the Long Play mechanisms, the company had realized the Long Play records were a failure, so they decided to create the new Edisonic machines. That's why the maker's plate has CLT on it instead of SCB.
Thank you! I had wondered about "CLT" ever since getting mine some years ago.