10W30 motor oil for a HMV102 spring?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
toydk
Victor O

Re: 10W30 motor oil for a HMV102 spring?

Post by toydk »

YIKES! I hope not.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Sorry, but it's a distinct possibility. I've had this happen when I did the same as you. and the grease seeped through the base of the cabinet and stained the exterior. Your best bet is to get another wire and this time persevere!

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

I think the HMV portable spring barrels are similar to other Victor products, is this correct? I have three 102s but haven't re-greased those springs. I've always found the Victor spring barrel retaining wires the most difficult part of a clean/re-grease project as well:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=2274

Since then, I've also done some Credenza springs. Based on my prior experience, I recall even trying to keep the retaining wires oriented the same way as they were originally, but still had a little difficulty putting them back. The biggest factor (with the large springs, at least) was making sure the lid was tapped down enough so there was enough "groove" for the wire to snap into. Surprising how much the grease can lift up that lid! Even then, they can take a bit of twiddling to seat properly.

I was also given the same warning about not putting these retaining springs back properly, so I did go back and fix it (with difficulty).

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

OrthoFan wrote:
Henry wrote:
OrthoFan wrote:...No doubt about it, there is noticeable speed variation, which manifests as pitch variation. Note that there is some eccentricity in the platter (slight back-and-forth lateral movement of the sound box), and this can also cause pitch variation. However, the marked variation I hear is probably due to turntable speed irregularity.
Hi Henry:

Thanks for confirming. Seems a shame after the owner went through all that trouble to rebuild it; documenting his repair process, posting photos, etc.. Listening to it again, it seems that the sound box, itself, could use some TLC, in addition to whatever motor adjustments might be needed. I suspect that the governor may not have been mounted correctly and was moving slightly back and forth-horizontally-on its pivots. (An easy fix.)

OrthoFan
OrthoFan, eccentricity can be caused by a slightly off-center hole in the record, or by a wear-enlarged hole, rather than by a mechanical fault. I'm sure you'll get to the root of the problem through your diligence!

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Henry wrote:... OrthoFan, eccentricity can be caused by a slightly off-center hole in the record, or by a wear-enlarged hole, rather than by a mechanical fault. I'm sure you'll get to the root of the problem through your diligence!

Hi Henry:

The HMV 102 with the wavering speed problem on the site link I posted isn't mine. But I agree, a number of factors could be the culprit in this case.

The reason I suggested the governor was because I heard an abrupt drop in speed a few times, in addition to the wavering sound, in the video. This reminded me of a problem I had with a Consolette I used to own, but sold many years ago. I'd listen to a record--it didn't matter what record I played--and the speed would drop, then speed up, then drop again. After numerous inspections, etc., I finally discovered that the governor's support lugs (bearings) weren't positioned properly. The governor had too much play, and the whole unit moved back and forth as the record played. I re-positioned one of the lugs so that the governor was able to spin freely without any sideways movement. From then on, it played perfectly.

OrthFan

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

OrthoFan wrote:
Henry wrote:... OrthoFan, eccentricity can be caused by a slightly off-center hole in the record, or by a wear-enlarged hole, rather than by a mechanical fault. I'm sure you'll get to the root of the problem through your diligence!

Hi Henry:

The HMV 102 with the wavering speed problem on the site link I posted isn't mine. But I agree, a number of factors could be the culprit in this case.

The reason I suggested the governor was because I heard an abrupt drop in speed a few times, in addition to the wavering sound, in the video. This reminded me of a problem I had with a Consolette I used to own, but sold many years ago. I'd listen to a record--it didn't matter what record I played--and the speed would drop, then speed up, then drop again. After numerous inspections, etc., I finally discovered that the governor's support lugs (bearings) weren't positioned properly. The governor had too much play, and the whole unit moved back and forth as the record played. I re-positioned one of the lugs so that the governor was able to spin freely without any sideways movement. From then on, it played perfectly.

OrthFan
Aha! Good sleuthing! I'll keep this in mind if I ever experience the problem on my VV-XI-G (1917)---it's 101 years old and going strong!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"Some people opt for the "more authentic" Vaseline/graphite mix."

Not to be critical or confrontational, but every time I hear someone refer to Vaseline & graphite as a good choice of lubricant, it makes me crazy. There is absolutely no reason, in this modern age to use Vaseline for anything, except maybe a rectal thermometer or diaper rash... :lol: Most people don't use it for other personal activities, either, preferring water soluble KY instead... ;)

Petroleum jelly, commonly known by the most popular brandname Vaseline, is a derivative of oil refining. Originally found coating the bottom of oil rigs in the mid-1800s, Vaseline is a combination of mineral oil and wax.

Obviously wax is not a great product to use for lubricating machinery or gears, as it hardens over time. Any modern automotive grease is superior to that antiquated Vaseline formula and there is nothing inherently "authentic" about using something that screws up many phonograph motors. It would be like saying... "Wagon wheels in the 1800s were greased with Buffalo lard, so that must be the best thing to use on a vintage automobile." The fallacy behind these ideas lies in the fact that nothing else, better, had been discovered at that time and people used what was available.

Now, move up to the present day and we have all types of really great lubricants, including superior synthetic lubricants, so why in the world would you choose to lubricate a mechanical device that has survived all kinds of abuse during the past 100 years with an antiquated, inferior lubricant that may actually contribute to its demise?

Sorry for the soapbox, just my two cents... BUT please don't use Vaseline and graphite... :(
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife