"Lovie Joe"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: "Lovie Joe"

Post by Roaring20s »

Thank for the video.
What an outfit, and those extras are nice to have.

James.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Roaring20s wrote:Thank for the video. What an outfit, and those extras are nice to have. James.
I sincerely appreciate your gracious comments, James.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I don't think Elizabeth and Fanny Brice are the same people.VERY nice record,though.I wondered if anyone recorded "Lovie Joe" back then.The record must've had a short life in the Victor catalog.edisonplayer PS:She also recorded with Charles King on Victor.They also a bit later made records for Columbia.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I just looked up Elizabeth Brice on Wikipedia.She was NOT related to Fanny Brice.edisonplayer.BTW:I wonder if Ada Jones recorded "Lovie Joe"for someone(perhaps Columbia).

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Brice was obviously a stage name so any attempt at connecting Fanny Brice to someone else with that last name would be illogical. I don't believe all that I read on the internet or Wikipedia. Fanny Brice was closely associated with singing Lovie Joe when this recording was released (1911). The voice in the Victor recording presented in the video closely matches the same voice in some of Fanny Brice's 1921 comic recordings so I made the connection in the video. It makes no sense to me that a relative unknown (instead of Fanny) would be invited to make this recording of Lovie Joe at Victor at this time. I've been way off before and I accept that but when I made the video this was my conclusion.

I post my YouTube videos solely for entertainment purposes and for nothing else. If I include something that may or may not be historically accurate so be it. My videos are spontaneous, completely unrehearsed, recorded and posted for those who appreciate the effort. I'm never going to please or reach agreement with everyone that watches my videos and I have accepted that for almost 10 years of posting videos on my YouTube channel.

Doug