WHAT IS THIS?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
roaringtwenties
Victor Jr
Personal Text: "WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ELECTRICITY BILL" - Confusion (Not Confucius)

WHAT IS THIS?

Post by roaringtwenties »

Greetings everyone!

I have seen this listing for a long time but I wanted to see if someone could identify what this is:
Is it an acoustic phonograph, and does it have a radio built in? Is it worth something? Is the reproducer for vertically cut records or standard groove 78s?

Thank you so much for all your kind words and input as always!
Attachments
00r0r_5hfalXOCKyr_1200x900.jpg
00N0N_gROTwv2FGcl_1200x900.jpg
00c0c_fQRdJrSAciP_1200x900.jpg

startgroove
Victor III

Re: WHAT IS THIS?

Post by startgroove »

I can't tell what brand it is, but I can answer some of your questions. It is an electrically amplified phonograph and radio combination. It will play laterally cut records only. The brand name appears on the dial escutcheon, but it is unreadable by me. It would help if you posted a picture of the back showing the chassis. Otherwise my guess is that it is about a 1928-1932 vintage piece.

roaringtwenties
Victor Jr
Personal Text: "WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ELECTRICITY BILL" - Confusion (Not Confucius)

startgroove wrote:I can't tell what brand it is, but I can answer some of your questions. It is an electrically amplified phonograph and radio combination. It will play laterally cut records only. The brand name appears on the dial escutcheon, but it is unreadable by me. It would help if you posted a picture of the back showing the chassis. Otherwise my guess is that it is about a 1928-1932 vintage piece.
Sure no problem, here is the up close shot of the logo:
Attachments
00s0s_clLuN5glkKa_600x450.jpg
00s0s_clLuN5glkKa_600x450.jpg (14.35 KiB) Viewed 2046 times

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

It reads Majestic. ;)

My first Goole search...
https://www.google.com/search?q=majesti ... 88&bih=811

James.

roaringtwenties
Victor Jr

Very interesting reply. None of the pictures on your google search match this machine and you have misspelled "google" with "goole". How stupid.

roaringtwenties
Victor Jr

Roaring20s wrote:It reads Majestic. ;)

My first Goole search...
https://www.google.com/search?q=majesti ... 88&bih=811

James.
Here is the quote saved just in case you try to change it.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Google is a simple tool for information and a great starting point.
I was not offering absolute information, just a starting point, as I did for your other query.
Did the the link I supplied about the Reproducer / Recorder prove useful?
I found the Youtubes by Victrolaman very informative.

What information can the seller have to offer about this Radio Phonograph?
The model number should be on the back or near the radio.
:coffee:

James.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Another useful tool is the Radio Attic Archives, found here: http://radioatticarchives.com

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

It is a Majestic model 163 combination. This 1931 vintage Superhetrodyne was very well designed, heavy as blazes, and used an interesting stamped steel chassis, which was mounted upside down in the cabinet. The loudspeaker was a beefy unit of Majestic's own make with a Burtex cone.

These sets sold poorly, despite offering great value at a list of $195.00 including tubes. By the time that the 60 series was introduced the combination of network radio and the Great Depression had left the talking machine and record industry moribund.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

And the model 60 family of chassis are very good prefomers :) as Uncle said they are HEAVY and a clam shell chassis ,so hard to service ! It is a nine tube superheterodyne with tuning meter I have never seen that perticular model
Last edited by Vinrage_mania on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.