Help With VV-IX Rebuild Please (Sounds Like a Fan)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
adaytoolong
Victor Jr

Help With VV-IX Rebuild Please (Sounds Like a Fan)

Post by adaytoolong »

Hello. I recently decided to rebuild a Victrola that wasn’t running well when I bought it. I cleaned everything off and put it back together today. I was proud of the job I did with the spring and everything cleaned up nicely.

It seemed to test smoothly until I increased the speed. As I turned the screw to increase the speed, the machine began to sound like a box fan. It got worse with more speed. Eventually, one of the springs on the governor snapped. Any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Ken

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Help With VV-IX Rebuild Please (Sounds Like a Fan)

Post by Jerry B. »

If you broke a governor spring I wonder how fast the motor was running. Jerry B.

adaytoolong
Victor Jr

Post by adaytoolong »

The speed control knob was still above the cabinet at least a quarter inch when the spring snapped. I did notice that the leather is really worn out underneath.

Ken

adaytoolong
Victor Jr

Post by adaytoolong »

I figured I’d reply to my own post since I think I figured it out. The governor was likely spinning at 100 rpm+. The arm underneath slipped a bit unbeknownst to me.

After adjusting everything and replacing the governor springs, it appears to be working perfectly. I’m very pleased with my first motor rebuild. I also tracked down some of the missing parts for a fair price.

Although it’s a common machine, I’m pleased to have brought it gack to life!

Ken

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

adaytoolong wrote:I figured I’d reply to my own post since I think I figured it out. The governor was likely spinning at 100 rpm+. The arm underneath slipped a bit unbeknownst to me.

After adjusting everything and replacing the governor springs, it appears to be working perfectly. I’m very pleased with my first motor rebuild. I also tracked down some of the missing parts for a fair price.

Although it’s a common machine, I’m pleased to have brought it gack to life!
One last thing, be sure to oil the leather pad on the speed adjust arm. Sometimes, a hardened leather pad will make noise when it comes in contact with the governor wheel.

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8