The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: One Less VV 4-40 in the World...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:38 am 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:43 am
Posts: 1762
Location: Castle Rock, WA
About a year ago, a fellow gave me a Victrola VV 4-40 from his barn. No motor or motor board, the cabinet was demolished, and the legs were gone, so tonight I 'disassembled' it.

Finally got to have a first hand look at the innards of a re-entrant horn. First, the sound goes down the cast iron tubes to the wooden part of the horn, then it splits and each split does a u-turn one to the left and the other to the right, then each of those split up and down, then the upper right and upper left meet and the lower right and lower left meet, and the sound comes out the top and bottom of the front.

Anyway, VV 4-40 serial number 120829 is no more. The grille is in very good condition and the metal parts are still useable, that's about all that's left.

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Less VV 4-40 in the World...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:50 am 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:58 am
Posts: 341
Location: Florida
Here’s a 4-40 cabinet for $50 if you want to make it whole again:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153170564764


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Less VV 4-40 in the World...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:55 am 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:48 am
Posts: 416
Location: New Hampshire
Unfortunately there are already too many VV 4-40s in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Less VV 4-40 in the World...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:32 am 
Offline
Victor II
I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:39 am
Posts: 478
Location: South Carolina
Ah, dissection! At least a Victrola will not smell of formaldehyde and misery inside, (unless rats have set up a mortuary inside the record compartment). I've wanted to see what was in a re-entrant horn for a very long time.

Did you take some pictures of how the horn was constructed? I know working on a normal non-Orthophonic Victrola for the first time I had no idea what I was doing and very nearly dismantled the horn thinking it was removable--nope, it was wood, iron, and old beeswax, and I had no real business pulling it apart!

Perhaps photos and/or descriptions would help Orthophonic owners with fixing their own machines...


Skihawx wrote:
Unfortunately there are already too many VV 4-40s in the world.

Are you quite certain? --I don't have one yet! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Less VV 4-40 in the World...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:50 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:43 am
Posts: 1762
Location: Castle Rock, WA
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:
Ah, dissection! At least a Victrola will not smell of formaldehyde and misery inside, (unless rats have set up a mortuary inside the record compartment). I've wanted to see what was in a re-entrant horn for a very long time.

Did you take some pictures of how the horn was constructed? I know working on a normal non-Orthophonic Victrola for the first time I had no idea what I was doing and very nearly dismantled the horn thinking it was removable--nope, it was wood, iron, and old beeswax, and I had no real business pulling it apart!

Perhaps photos and/or descriptions would help Orthophonic owners with fixing their own machines...


Skihawx wrote:
Unfortunately there are already too many VV 4-40s in the world.

Are you quite certain? --I don't have one yet! :lol:

I made a real primitive video of the re-entrant horn assembly and posted to YouTube here:

https://youtu.be/fYrS2oLsJ3s

Hope this helps! Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Less VV 4-40 in the World...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:34 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
"Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:19 pm
Posts: 1289
CDBPDX wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:
Ah, dissection! At least a Victrola will not smell of formaldehyde and misery inside, (unless rats have set up a mortuary inside the record compartment). I've wanted to see what was in a re-entrant horn for a very long time.

Did you take some pictures of how the horn was constructed? I know working on a normal non-Orthophonic Victrola for the first time I had no idea what I was doing and very nearly dismantled the horn thinking it was removable--nope, it was wood, iron, and old beeswax, and I had no real business pulling it apart!

Perhaps photos and/or descriptions would help Orthophonic owners with fixing their own machines...


Skihawx wrote:
Unfortunately there are already too many VV 4-40s in the world.

Are you quite certain? --I don't have one yet! :lol:

I made a real primitive video of the re-entrant horn assembly and posted to YouTube here:

https://youtu.be/fYrS2oLsJ3s

Hope this helps! Cliff

Is that the Pathé rooster crowing in the background? :lol:
Thanks for the video!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Less VV 4-40 in the World...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:11 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:12 pm
Posts: 1298
CDBPDX wrote:
I made a real primitive video of the re-entrant horn assembly and posted to YouTube here:
https://youtu.be/fYrS2oLsJ3s
Hope this helps! Cliff


Hi Cliff:

MANY THANKS for posting that. I've had my 4-40 for about 20 years now, and wondered about the innards of the horn. From what I've been told, it was the smallest re-entrant style (4-chamber) horn Victor made. The only online photos I've spotted have been like this one, showing the horn's mouth:
Attachment:
4-40 Horn.JPG
4-40 Horn.JPG [ 67.35 KiB | Viewed 156 times ]


When I first got mine, I inspected the horn as best I could, checked for and repaired any possible leaks, etc., and have been generally pleased with the sound quality. What I call the upper range bass really comes through, and compared to other as-found models I've listened to, it sounds pretty good--far more Credenza-like than the other mid/small models such as the 4-7 or Consolette.

Some day, I hope to acquire another 4-40 in a pristine cabinet. (Mine's missing the leg stretcher and has been partially refinished). That will probably be the one to see me out.

OrthoFan


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.