Bad record or week spring?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
winduphere
Victor I

Bad record or week spring?

Post by winduphere »

I enjoy listening to records on my one spring phonograph. I would say that 8 out of 10
Records play right throughout. I do in counter the occasional record that just about stops the machine
instantly. I always recrank and put in a new needle. Can it be a bad record with to much resistance? Is that even possible? Bad needle? Or just a week spring? The "bad" records do play just fine on a more powerful stand up Victrola.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Re: Bad record or week spring?

Post by Mormon S »

Have you cleaned out/regreased the spring? That's usually the problem. It's rare for a weak to be weak enough to come to a dead stop. The resistance Depends on the volume of the record, and the quality of the press, but with a newly greased spring, it shouldn't make much of a difference. Hope this helps

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

I was having the same problem on my single-spring Victor I. Not sure if there is anything to this, but I tried using the thinner soft-tone needles on it, and the records play through fine. Perhaps they produce less drag. Also using a record hold-down screw helps. The really worn ones still won't play through, but I am sure that this is due to a combination of record wear, and the relative strength of a single-spring machine, versus a more powerful one.

Thanks,
Mike

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

winduphere wrote:I enjoy listening to records on my one spring phonograph. I would say that 8 out of 10
Records play right throughout. I do in counter the occasional record that just about stops the machine
instantly. I always recrank and put in a new needle. Can it be a bad record with to much resistance? Is that even possible? Bad needle? Or just a week spring? The "bad" records do play just fine on a more powerful stand up Victrola.
A few other questions come to mind...

What model phonograph?
Has the reproducer been overhauled with fresh gaskets and adjusted properly?
Does the tonearm move freely across the record's surface. (Any sticking or rough spots?)
What records--and from what era -- teens, 1920s,30s,40s,50s--are you trying to play--label, title, etc...
Condition of the records?
Type of needle used? Loud, Medium, soft?

Yes, I've tried playing some records on my single spring motor portable model that caused the turntable to stop -- notably, some late (red label) Columbia discs from the 50s -- this, in spite of the fact that the motor, sound box, and tonearm have been overhauled.

OrthoFan

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

A single spring motor in good working order with a good spring should play at least one side of a record, even a bad record. There are a lot of things in the motor that can create drag, robbing energy from the turntable. A weak spring can be the cause, but any gunkiness on the governor can create significant drag and steal power from the turntable. Gunk on the drive gears would be another culprit. Also, make certain the motor is well lubricated. Both ends of the governor especially.

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8