New Feature on the APS Web Site

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

New Feature on the APS Web Site

Post by phonogfp »

Now, when an APS member is logged-in, the “Search the Document Archive” dialog-box and button appear on the main menu. Searching begins with one click!
jX7SR77A.png
For example, entering the word:
greetaphone and clicking “search” should display only one selection:

TAP-2013-03

Entering the phrase:

gem speaker

and clicking “search” will display countless selections that contain either word; however, entering the phrase:

“gem speaker” (note the quotes are included)

will display the following two selections that contain the words gem AND speaker:

ITG-1990-01
ITG-2003-06

When the element renaming within the APS library is completed, the document examples above will display as:

The Antique Phonograph_Publication 2013-03
In The Groove_Publication 1990-01
In The Groove Publication 2003-06

Work is also underway to create an entire Document Index and will appear under the Catalogs Section as a separate pull-down item.

Thank you to all APS members whose support makes these improvements possible.

George P.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: New Feature on the APS Web Site

Post by marcapra »

Sounds great George! I salute anyone and everyone responsible for doing this great work! Marc.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

This has become such a wonderful resource. My hat is off to all who've contributed so much.

A couple questions, suggestions:

Is there any thought to making the latest issues of "The Antique Phonograph" available online to subscribers in a format like that of "The Talking Machine World" on publication each month? This would be especially helpful for those of us across the pond.

Have you considered setting up an "auto re-subscribe" feature that members could opt into? This would avoid the problem of some people (not mentioning any names) forgetting to renew promptly and your having to chase them down. Asking for a friend who says sometimes he forgets. :monkey:

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Hooray!!

Thanks George P. !

:)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Valecnik wrote: Is there any thought to making the latest issues of "The Antique Phonograph" available online to subscribers in a format like that of "The Talking Machine World" on publication each month? This would be especially helpful for those of us across the pond.
The APS evaluated such a service and found it not to be cost effective. Current issues, such as September 2018, are loaded onto the web site archive at the time of printing. We are awaiting some final programming changes that would include the “most current” in the Search repository and the soon-to-be-delivered Index of Publications.
Valecnik wrote:Have you considered setting up an "auto re-subscribe" feature that members could opt into? This would avoid the problem of some people (not mentioning any names) forgetting to renew promptly and your having to chase them down. Asking for a friend who says sometimes he forgets. :monkey:
Multi-year memberships are a planned future enhancement, although it has not yet been prioritized. If you have a specific need, please contact the APS directly at info@antiquephono.org
NEFaurora wrote:Hooray!!

Thanks George P. !
Don't thank me - I don't know a byte from my elbow. I stand in awe of the group who makes these things happen. It's not easy, and sometimes involves changing online platforms. Thanks to these folks, the APS web site will continue to improve, becoming larger and more user-friendly.

George P.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

[quote="phonogfp"][quote="Valecnik"]
Is there any thought to making the latest issues of "The Antique Phonograph" available online to subscribers in a format like that of "The Talking Machine World" on publication each month? This would be especially helpful for those of us across the pond.No problem if properly regulated. Federally registered weapon and owner, mandatory training and limits on quantities of both weapons and ammo.

The APS evaluated such a service and found it not to be cost effective. Current issues, such as September 2018, are loaded onto the web site archive at the time of printing. We are awaiting some final programming changes that would include the “most current” in the Search repository and the soon-to-be-delivered Index of Publications.

Thanks George. How do I find the current issue in the archive? :monkey:

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Valecnik wrote: Thanks George. How do I find the current issue in the archive? :monkey:
Bruce, although the document has been loaded to the Domain server, some further coding is required within the security protocol to make it available. The Wizards also want to finalize the complete renaming of the index. This should be coming soon.

Meanwhile, just relish the anticipation...sort of like December 1-24... :)

George P.

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

phonogfp wrote:
Valecnik wrote: Thanks George. How do I find the current issue in the archive? :monkey:
Bruce, although the document has been loaded to the Domain server, some further coding is required within the security protocol to make it available. The Wizards also want to finalize the complete renaming of the index. This should be coming soon.

Meanwhile, just relish the anticipation...sort of like December 1-24... :)

George P.
Thanks George,

I'm not too up on domain server protocol coding or I'd offer to help. Anyway a great resource and getting better every day!