Edison Laboratory medallion question?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Edison Laboratory medallion question?

Post by marcapra »

This might be a question for an expert like Fran. When did the Edison Co. stop putting the Edison Official Laboratory Model medallions on their phonographs? I now own two Official Lab models that were assembled with the mechanism no sooner that 1922. That is because both of them, a William and Mary console, WMC-33, and my Early Italian Umbrian IU-19, have 10"/12" keys. I used to own a C-250 and a W-19, both without the keys, that had the medallions. Did C-19's with 10/12 keys, if they ever came that way, also not have the medallions?

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Re: Edison Laboratory medallion question?

Post by NEFaurora »

I believe that 1915 was the first years starting with the C-250 Machines...but there were other machines as well, possibly even as early as 1913 even. The C-200 was also one of those machines.

The Medallions evolved though. I know of 4 different types.. I put them in the order that they were made below, From the 1st made, to the last 4th one made.

The first and second had a Pentastar Shape (to facilitate the use of 3 screws to hold it on) and background, The 3rd and the 4th were round and had One "Needle Pin in the Center" holding it onto the wood and the wording was different between the two. I'll post some pics of them..

"Did C-19's with 10/12 keys, if they ever came that way, also not have the medallions?"

Yep. They sure did. I personally have one of these machines, and it has the 10"/12" buttons and a "round" medallion...and I have seen others the same as mine as well. The last pic shown below show the one used on all the C-19 Models (1918-1927).

Also, Believe that the 10"/12" buttons were only used on very late machines. (1923-1927).

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer
Attachments
Weird250dollarC250Medallion.jpg
Weird250dollarC250Medallion.jpg (208.14 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
Edison C250 18.jpg
Edison C250 18.jpg (126.63 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
Original Edison C250 Transition Model 1918 - 10.jpg
Edison C-19 Original9.jpg
Edison C-19 Original9.jpg (18.77 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Marc,

As far as the Chippendale is concerned, the medallion was present from its inception (Late 1915) through final production of them (probably piecemeal after 1925 until the "official" end of the Phonograph division in October 1929). Most likely the other "Official Laboratory Model" machines that were designated as such -- the hallmark being a Type C mechanism with double mainspring motor and "250" horn -- I assume the trend would've followed until the end of their production also.

For the Chippendale, I've compiled -- from empirical data I collected and my extensive research regarding the Chippendale C 250/19 -- a quick reference guide to the 4 different medallions and the approximate dates they would have been used throughout the many years of production. For the first time publicly, I've included my image to be shared and used freely. Hopefully this helps folks identify Chippendales for their authenticity. I would love if this could translate into production data for the other "OLM" models, too.

Best,
Fran
Attachments
Medallions with production.jpg
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Fran is canning onions this morning, so we'll have to wait for word from The Oracle. Till then, I'll offer a few comments... [EDIT: Fran is in the building!]

The complete (and I mean COMPLETE) story of the C 250/C 19 can be found in the December 2015 through September 2016 issues of The Antique Phonograph in a 4-part article by Fran. All 4 medallions are shown.
NEFaurora wrote:I believe that 1915 was the first years starting with the C-250 Machines...but there were other machines as well, possibly even as early as 1913 even. The C-200 was also one of those machines.
Tony, I'm not sure what you mean by "...there were other machines as well," but the C 200 wasn't an Official Laboratory Model.
NEFaurora wrote: "Did C-19's with 10/12 keys, if they ever came that way, also not have the medallions?"

Yep. They sure did. I personally have one of these machines, and it has the 10"/12" buttons and a "round" medallion...and I have seen others the same as mine as well. The last pic shown below show the one used on all the C-19 Models (1918-1927).
The C 19 wasn't introduced until April 1919.

George P.

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

“Fran is canning onions this morning, so we'll have to wait for word from The Oracle.”

That stinks!

“The complete (and I mean COMPLETE) story of the C 250/C 19 can be found in the December 2015 through September 2016 issues of The Antique Phonograph in a 4-part article by Fran. All 4 medallions are shown.”

Until our Document Index is complete, you may find those issues George referenced, including all other articles Fran has authored, by simply entering the Search Phrase:
Pratt (without any quotes) into the Search Engine.

“Tony, I'm not sure what you mean by "...there were other machines as well," but the C 200 wasn't an Official Laboratory Model.”

Medallions are available on eBay and elsewhere, and I have seen them placed on machines where they didn’t belong.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

My A250 SN#4719 has an early medallion which clearly doesn't belong there. I didn't add it to my machine, but it's now part of the machine's history so it's staying right where it is.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

"“Tony, I'm not sure what you mean by "...there were other machines as well," but the C 200 wasn't an Official Laboratory Model.”

Yes, I was incorrect about the C-200 (ADAM)...... That machine WAS NOT an "Official Labratory Model" I had ADAM on the brain...

Correctly, It was the C-450 English (ADAM), and the W-250 (William and Mary) Models that were also "Official Laboratory Models".

Thanks for the correction George P. !

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Always happy to oblige!

George P.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Thanks Tony K. for those beautiful pics of the medallions! Your photos look like works of art! Just based on my personal knowledge, I've never seen an Official Edison Laboratory console model that had a medallion. Did they ever come with them? I'm talking the big console models, the English Adam 450; the Italian Umbrian I-19; the Chippendale CC-32; the William and Mary WMC-33.