What Columbia machine used this reproducer?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phono-farm
Victor O

What Columbia machine used this reproducer?

Post by phono-farm »

Does anyone know exactly what Columbia machine used this reproducer? There is minor cracking in the nickel plated area so I assume it is pot metal, and it is in a box marked NICKEL No. 16-A. It definitely needs new gaskets.
Attachments
phono-columbia-reproducer16A-2-400h.jpg
phono-columbia-reproducer16A-2-400h.jpg (109.46 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
phono-columbia-reproducer16A-1-400w.jpg
phono-columbia-reproducer16A-1-400w.jpg (127.67 KiB) Viewed 1257 times

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: What Columbia machine used this reproducer?

Post by epigramophone »

Although yours is American made, it looks similar to the UK Columbia No.8 which was used across their machine range in 1927/28.
Attachments
8.jpg
8.jpg (104.04 KiB) Viewed 1241 times

phono-farm
Victor O

Post by phono-farm »

epigramophone wrote:Although yours is American made, it looks similar to the UK Columbia No.8 which was used across their machine range in 1927/28.
Yes, it is very similar, but different. The major differences appear to be yours has a knurled edge on the rear piece and the dome is slightly different, but the both have 13 holes on the front and the needle bars and mounts look the same.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I don't know what specific models it might have been fitted to, but I did find out that it was sold to upgrade older models --
Capture.JPG
MTR-1927-85-3-02.pdf
(649.56 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
HTH,
OrthoFan

phono-farm
Victor O

Post by phono-farm »

OrthoFan wrote:I don't know what specific models it might have been fitted to, but I did find out that it was sold to upgrade older models
Thanks! That's some good info about it anyway. Maybe it never was the 'correct' reproducer for any of their models.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

So in other words it was Columbia's answer to the Victrola No. 4, a "non-Viva Tonal" model to enable old style machines, at least roughly, to play the new records. I love the way that announcement refers to the 16-V as being "for old instruments of other standard makes," (er) pointedly avoiding mention of that other outfit over in Camden. Gee, I wonder how they came up with "V" for a suffix? :D

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

phono-farm wrote:
OrthoFan wrote:I don't know what specific models it might have been fitted to, but I did find out that it was sold to upgrade older models
Thanks! That's some good info about it anyway. Maybe it never was the 'correct' reproducer for any of their models.
I'm wondering about that too, as well as if any "16-Vs" have turned up? At five bucks, it would have been priced the same as the Victor #4 sound box, sold as an upgrade. According to the CPI inflation calculator, that would be at least $75 in today's money. According to my own "candy bar inflation calculator," that would be about $125.00 in today's money. (The price of a candy bar was 5-cents in 1927, and about $1.25 today!) I'd guess not many were sold.

OrthoFan

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

This style reproducer was also used on some Columbia portables like the Model 130. I have two and both are crumbling unfortunately...

Andreas