Has anyone ever seen one of these very fancy RCA RAE-79's?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Has anyone ever seen one of these very fancy RCA RAE-79's?

Post by marcapra »

These are pics I borrowed from Chuck Azzalina's website My Vintage TV. I was stunned by the beauty of this console. Has anyone ever seen or heard one of these? They must be very rare. The RAE-79 was made by RCA Victor in 1931. It even has a remote control!

RCA RAE-79

http://www.myvintagetv.com/rca_rae79.htm
Attachments
RAE79_front_closed_sm.jpg
RAE79_front_open_sm.jpg

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Re: Has anyone ever seen one of these very fancy RCA RAE-79'

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Yes Marc, I have 2 that I’m in the process of obtaining the missing parts for to complete them. I got the amps for one RAE 79 from a R-50 and a R-55. The tuners from each of those radios also provided the tuners for each RAE 79, though they are the same, they do not have the remote control electronics. The original speakers are in both 79s. One has the original changer and I just obtained the second changer I needed.

There is a RAE 79 currently is being restored by a real professional on the Antique Radio Forum:

RAE-79 Unit Restoration:

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... 1&t=323907

RAE-79 Record Changer Restoration:

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... 9&t=342371

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

And, I am another owner of one that is incomplete. Just starting to find the chassis' for an empty cabinet. Like VM, I will likely make it a non-remote controlled version. The cabinet is an amazing piece of furniture, one of the prettiest Gothic styles, in my opinion. Good luck on yours VM, sounds like you are almost there. Russie

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

The first complete one of these I saw was in Berkeley ....that was in the middle eighties ,and the collector who had the set traded it for an EH Scott set in a Rivinea cabinet ....not sure where it is currently

ketron281989
Victor O
Personal Text: "Quality Seen & Heard"

Post by ketron281989 »

Hello,

I have a complete and ¾ working example I am closing electrical restoration on. These RAE-79 units are quite something. Of all the early electrical restorations (radio and phono) I have undertaken within the last decade, the RAE-79 has been one of the most complicated and complex. If you want a tour of the inside of an complete example, please visit the two links below posted in the "Antique Radio Forum".

A link to current restoration of my machine:

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... &hilit=RAE

A link to the changer restoration:

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... &hilit=RAE

Prior to starting on the RAE-79 I had previously completed a full electrical and mechanical restoration of a RAE-59:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=31921

Edit: Wayne, had just noticed your posting after publishing this one, thank you for the comment!! Hope you are doing well!

Jon
Capehart

"The finest in music plus radio entertainment"

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Jon, Would you know if the RAE-68 and RAE-79 share the same remote control equipment? Cheers, Russie

ketron281989
Victor O
Personal Text: "Quality Seen & Heard"

Post by ketron281989 »

Russie,

The RAE 79 and RAE 68 share the same remote equipment(highlighted red below). The rotary function switches (highlighted green below) on each machine operate differently. The RAE-68 function switch is controlled manually via movable knob switch just like your RAE-59. The RAE-68 remote push buttons are all used for radio pre-sets on the receiver. The RAE-79 function switch is controlled electrically via push button on the cabinet, two of the function features can be controlled via the remote, radio and phono function. This feature is lacking on the RAE-68.

Both remotes are physically the same and have the same amount of buttons, the '68 has two more station pre-sets than the '79 due to lack of Radio/Phono remote feature. The difference is at the terminal strip where the remote connects to. Wiring at and beyond the terminal strip is different on each unit.

It is possible to use RAE-68 parts to make a RAE-79 partially complete. The RAE-79 is the only unit to have the electrically controlled function switch. A separate electric motor drives the rotary function on this switch. This is an RAE-79 specific feature no other unit had. This piece would have to be found or made to create an accurate and complete RAE-79 example.

Jon
Attachments
RAE-79 Wiring Diagram.JPG
RAE-68 Wiring Diagram.JPG
Capehart

"The finest in music plus radio entertainment"

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Tnx very much Jon. I appreciate that information. Russie

ketron281989