The 1930 Concert Grand

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ketron281989
Victor O
Personal Text: "Quality Seen & Heard"

The 1930 Concert Grand

Post by ketron281989 »

Several months ago I had finished an electrical restoration on this very rare and expensive combination machine manufactured by Philco in 1930. This radio/phono electric machine features a single play electric phonograph. Powered via the famous induction disk motor introduced by Victor years prior, the stock RCA tone arm (labeled Philco) features an electromagnetic pick up head to allow for use with electrically recorded records (all the rage at the time). I rebuilt the pick up head and re-magnetized the horseshoe magnet within!

Video of the unit in operation (Record Player starts at 3:46 on video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpiT2Og7wr0

It is amazing, the quality of an electrically recorded record playing on an electric machine. Quality totally different from acoustically recorded records. I like both types of records, moving more toward the electrical side of course! I re-stuffed all capacitors to replicate an original look from the factory. Each of the resistors were custom built replica's of original resistors. Wanted to keep a full original look on this set. New resistors were inserted within a small plastic tube with ends made to look identical to Philco resistors of the time period, paint to match original colors too!

Jon
Attachments
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
08.jpg (215.93 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
Capehart

"The finest in music plus radio entertainment"

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: The 1930 Concert Grand

Post by gramophone-georg »

VERY impressive. Bravo! The attention to detail is fantastic.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

electrolaman 64
Victor II
Personal Text: Look for the Dog

Post by electrolaman 64 »

Jon,

Very nice indeed!

I see that your must like the Jessie Crawford Theatre organ recordings. :)

Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN
electrolaman 64
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Bravo indeed!!! Nice job with your attention to the details of each component.

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

Great work on a stunning machine.

Gene

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

My hats off to anyone who can do such amazing and almost forgotten work. A very fine looking cabinet as well. I used to try and have a number of fine cabinet electric players restored back in the early 60s or earlier and all I ever got was maybe a few weeks till they quit again. Even then a talented restorer or repair man was hard to find. I think you either instinctively have the ability to repair these kinds of things or you don't.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

The Concert Grand is quite impressive. The video was great. Did you broadcast your own AM station? It sounded like a period broadcast. Congratulations!
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

It's an incredible machine, and your job of re-creating the old finishes and the chassis wiring is truly the "restorer's art!" I love how it turned out and your choice of Jesse Crawford records is much appreciated. Sounds like an old silent movie in there!

ketron281989
Victor O
Personal Text: "Quality Seen & Heard"

Post by ketron281989 »

Thank you all for the comments. I do like Jessie Crawford theatre organ recordings! Came across a whole set years ago at a thrift store thus starting my desire to collect more Crawford records. This Philco unit provided a fun and challenging restoration. One of the finest Philco machines I have ever worked on. Simple yet elegant in design. A great player, glad you all enjoyed the pictures and video!

audiophile102: I have two part 15 certified transmitters (one solid state/one tube) that I use in conjunction with all my restored sets. I find myself always broadcasting period music to go with the period set I am playing.

Jon
Capehart

"The finest in music plus radio entertainment"