Victor I phonograph. I RESTORED IT!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dave D
Victor IV

Re: Victor I phonograph. I BOUGHT IT!

Post by Dave D »

There is a Victor II motor board on Ebay right now. It might be of use to you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTOR-PHONOGR ... SwA~VaAKwU

Dave D

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Here is the sticker on the bottom of my early Victor I, which I believe is the most common of the three versions discussed here. I note that there is a very early Victor I offered on eBay with a different braking mechanism. So maybe there's a fourth version(?).

The paper is dark and brittle because of the acid content of the paper. It may be worthwhile to invest in a solution to de-acidify the paper. I believe there are spray-on solutions available on-line from those who supply materials to conservators. I intend to check this out.
Attachments
DSCF1705.jpg
DSCF1705.jpg (81.06 KiB) Viewed 1091 times

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

My early/late Victor I has the S/N 1320 A. It has the 1908 sticker on the bottom. My later Victor I has no sticker on the bottom, but has the 10" pressed steel turntable. I'm guessing that mine is from about 1910 or 1911. I have the machine packed away, so I don't know the S/N offhand. It has the slip in elbow, but same motor as yours. Unfortunately, I have no means to take picture. I don't have the skills or equipment to do so. I'm an old fashioned analog dinosaur. :lol: The round tab brake in question is the same as the Victor R, very early M and MS. Also used on the later Victor O.
Harvey Kravitz
jboger wrote:Dean: Thanks for the photo of the sticker. I don't have one on my late model. But I do on my early Victor I. I will take a photo tomorrow. I did, however, flip it over to read the date, which is March 1, 1902. No other date is printed. This corresponds to your 1908 date, not the 4-20-10 date.

Harvey, you wrote earlier that you have both late models with the two different motors. May I ask what are their dates on the stickers and their serail numbers?

John

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I don't think that motor board will work. The holes on my Humpback Victor II motor board are different than the Victor I. The holes will have to be re-configured. I think it is best to fill the holes with Oak, or some other wood and used Quartersawn Oak veneer on the top and bottom of the motor board. I think it will be easier to fill the holes than reconfigure the holes as stated before.
Harvey Kravitz
Dave D wrote:There is a Victor II motor board on Ebay right now. It might be of use to you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTOR-PHONOGR ... SwA~VaAKwU

Dave D

toydk
Victor O

Post by toydk »

Harvey,

I think the motor board on eBay could be a source for some oak to piece into the holes as you suggested. The pattern of the wood is not as elaborate as the oak on my Phonograph but no one will see it. I don’t really have any extra quarter sawn oak boards lying around or any old veneer for piecing. Maybe I will ask on the Yankee Trader and see if someone can sell me some they might have.

On another matter I am really interested to see what the appropriate brake looks like. Did you say you have one on your machines? Could you send me a picture of it? It would really help me. Thanks.

Dean

Thanks to Dave on the heads up on the eBay listing for that board.

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

toydk wrote: On another matter I am really interested to see what the appropriate brake looks like. Did you say you have one on your machines? Could you send me a picture of it? It would really help me. Thanks.
Dean
Here is a picture of the brake that Harvey mentioned for the later large case Victor I with the 10" turntable.
According to the Victor Data book by Baumbach, Victor switched to this round plate brake about serial number 3502.
P1150473.JPG
P1150475.JPG
Larry Crandell

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I think things are becoming very clear now. Yes, as previously noted, this machine at one point had an electric motor. I believe the power cord came in through a hole in the back near the bracket. (Or maybe through the crank hole?) There is an internally threaded hole on the motor board. That's where the power switch was placed. Now, near one of the three motor bolts, we can see two small screw holes. That's where the brake was located. It would seem that this machine started out as a Victor I, then later the original motor was replaced with an electric motor, and finally, later still, someone decided to restore it to something like its original condition.

toydk
Victor O

Post by toydk »

John,

I think you are right on. Thanks so much for your insight. Now the work begins to restore this machine to its original glory.

Dean

toydk
Victor O

Re: Victor I phonograph. I RESTORED IT!

Post by toydk »

I don’t claim to be an expert craftsmen but I did my best to bring this Victor I back to life.
Attachments
2A67ABDE-1C64-4864-A0C3-5C0E776FBEFD.jpeg
316F1210-476E-45E6-AC75-348111544973.jpeg
160D400B-41E7-4EC0-BA69-48E39969E980.jpeg
8951DC93-CDA1-4CC5-A8EC-17D69D8EBF79.jpeg

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Re: Victor I phonograph. I RESTORED IT!

Post by NEFaurora »

Great Job. I am impressed. You brought another one back to life... What's great was that most of the damage was hidden under the turntable..

Excellent. Congrats.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer