Victor I phonograph. I RESTORED IT!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
toydk
Victor O

Victor I phonograph. I RESTORED IT!

Post by toydk »

I saw this listed in an upcoming auction. I can’t read the plate in the photo. Is anyone familiar with this model? Thanks.
Attachments
0AACF105-5530-4CF3-B9F9-66B045A83005.jpeg
D56431E9-A5DE-47D5-A636-04D4B3B58D16.jpeg
Last edited by toydk on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Can anyone identify this Victor outside horn machine?

Post by Curt A »

Not sure which model used a steel pipe floor flange as a crank escutcheon... but perhaps someone will know. :roll: :? :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Based on the two photos it looks like a Victor I but there are issues---the pipe crank escutcheon definitely looks wrong. I can't read the ID plate clearly enough. And is it odd that the motorboatd is hinged in the front?

I'd ask for more detailed photos including the ID plate, motor, horn, elbow and back bracket. etc.

Steven

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

That is correct. It is a late or at least a later Victor I. It is correct to be hinged in the front. Although this model looks very similar to a Victor II, it is hinged in the front whereas the Victor II is hinged in the back near the back bracket. Here is a link to my post on this very model: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=36965. If the original poster buys the item I would be interested in comparing notes.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

jboger wrote:That is correct. It is a late or at least a later Victor I. It is correct to be hinged in the front. Although this model looks very similar to a Victor II, it is hinged in the front whereas the Victor II is hinged in the back near the back bracket. Here is a link to my post on this very model: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=36965. If the original poster buys the item I would be interested in comparing notes.

Steven

toydk
Victor O

Post by toydk »

I found some additional information in a short description: Style VIC 8631B

Does this help? I will try to get some additional photos.

Anyone have a guess as to its value?

Thanks,
Dean

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Now that serial number is of interest to me. My partial machine has serial number 1519A. Victor numbered some of its VV VI's with a letter suffix during the 1916-18 period (not sure of that time span). Does that mean these two Victor I's date from that same period? If so, you would think they would possess 10-inch turntables (25 cm). I'm sure this is all known to someone, just not to me.

Correction. It was in 1917-18 that Victor used a letter suffix. That suffix was applied to the model number, for example, VV-VIA, not to the serial number. The Victor I under discussion has the prefix B applied to the serial number. As does mine. What significance this has I do not know.
Last edited by jboger on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

As pictured, you already know something is suspicious regarding the crank... I would want to see the motor and examine this thoroughly before purchasing it. Otherwise, it could be considered a parts machine. The holes that were made to attach that pipe flange would be difficult to repair invisibly, which would be necessary to bring this back to original. There is no way from a picture to tell if the crank hole is a normal size or if it has been bored out for whatever reason... As always, the price depends on what someone is willing to pay... there are no comparables to use when dealing with a messed up machine to determine price...

Without more information, I wouldn't pay more than $500, since the motor (if original), horn and parts are worth that...
CORRECTION: $200 for the horn, the rest is questionable...
Last edited by Curt A on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I agree with Curt. That flange gives me pause. If you can inspect the machine, open the lid (latch is in the back--again, reversed from a Victor II) and take a look at the crank hole from the inside. Also the brake seems to be missing. It should be on the front, the opposite side from the speed control.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

I tried to help a friend who is not very mechanically minded, repair a Victor I cabinet. Cabinet parts for these machines are few and far between, you almost have to buy two parts machines (or more) to put one back together correctly - none of the parts are similar to anything else. That's why I mentioned the side with the crank and multiple holes... It took two years to find a junker to scavenge cabinet parts from and even then, it wasn't cheap...

My Wife