Amberola 30 *mistake*

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Amberola 30 *mistake*

Post by Mormon S »

I installed a new diaphragm on my amberola 30 yesterday, and it works fine. It plays blue amberola really well. Today I tried playing a wax amberol and it cut right through the groves, as if it were recording. I tried it on the end of the cylinder, and it cut a line into it! I have no clue what is causing this, and it ruined part of a great record. Has this happened to anyone else had this happen & what causes this to happen?
Last edited by Mormon S on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Re: Amberola 30 big problem.

Post by kirtley2012 »

The diamond C is too heavy for wax Amberols, they'll do just what you described, they should be played with a H really, the Diamond reproducers are just for the indestructible and celluloid type cylinders

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

kirtley2012 wrote:The diamond C is too heavy for wax Amberols, they'll do just what you described, they should be played with a H really, the Diamond reproducers are just for the indestructible and celluloid type cylinders
Had no idea, especially because when I was using a cardboard paper diaphragm, it played them fine.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

"The diamond C is too heavy for wax Amberols, they'll do just what you described, they should be played with a H really, the Diamond reproducers are just for the indestructible and celluloid type cylinders."

Yep. That's 100% Correct.

None of the Diamond Tipped Reproducers......Diamond A, B or C should be used for playing Black Wax "Amberols" or "Damnberols" as we know them..

As stated above, The Diamond A, B or C should only be used on the 4M Indestructible (Celluloid) cylinders or 4M Celluloid Cylinders such as the Edison "Blue" Amberols.

An External Horn machine with a Model "H" Reproducer is what is required to play a "Black Wax 4M Amberol" cylinder.

The Edison Amberola 30, 50, and 75 all use the Diamond "C" Reproducer and should never be used to play 4M Black Wax "Amberols" or it will destroy the cylinder.

So in Reality......You Don't have a big problem.... Your Edison Amberola 30 is doing exactly what it was designed to do.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

To play wax Amberols on a model 30 you need to find one of these adapters that were sold for that purpose:
IMG_0339.jpg
IMG_0340.jpg
It consists of a modified H reproducer with the tail weight cut back, the neck cut down and
slotted and a adapter ring to fit the reproducer in the large carriage with a lift assembly that allowed the reproducer weight to be raised using the 30's lift arm.

This one is missing the tube to attach it to the internal horn.

Chuck

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Thanks, Chuck for the pictures of the adapter. I never seen one or even a reference to one in many years of collecting. Was this possibly for use with language courses?

Jim

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

phonojim wrote:Thanks, Chuck for the pictures of the adapter. I never seen one or even a reference to one in many years of collecting. Was this possibly for use with language courses?

Jim

Yes for I.C.S records. There is a picture of it in Frow's Edison Cylinder Phonograph Companion on page 333.

Chuck