Edison C-1 etc. Model Phono-Radio Combos

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Edison C-1 etc. Model Phono-Radio Combos

Post by Victrolacollector »

I don't have the money or the space for one, but the Edison C1, C2, C3 etc. Phono-Radio combo's look really nice. I have always wondered how good they are compared to lets say, Victor Electrola's with the Radiola's? Are the Edison radio and amplifiers hard to work on? Any Issues? Bad transformers and caps etc.?

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Edison C-1 etc. Model Phono-Radio Combos

Post by marcapra »

I have owned a bunch of Edison radios over the years, including two C-4s, and a C-2, which I still have. I also own two rare 1930 Edison radios, the R-6 and R-7. Both have phono jacks, so I could plug in a turntable and play records on them. I do plug in my Ipod and play my Itunes library on them. They can even pick up Internet radio with my Wifi! I have been told by experts like Chuck Azzalina that the 1928 chassis, C-1, C-2, R1, R-2, is harder to work on than the later 29 and 30 chassis, C-4, R-6, R-7. There is no C-3. The C-2 and C-1 are the only electronic phonos that Edison sold that can play both DDs and 78s. They sound great! I own a C-2 formerly owned by Chuck Azzalina. My R-6 is a wonder. I found it on Craigslist up in the Sacramento area. It was in a antique store. I thought it was going to need a complete rebuild, but it worked fine and no previous work had been done to it, as far as we could determine from the chassis. We replaced a couple of the capacitors just to be safe and it sounds fine!
Last edited by marcapra on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

The Edison C-2 is one of my favorite machines. They are a terrific performer if restored properly. I've owned one for nearly 40 years. The C-4 does not in my opinion perform as well as the C-2. They really cheapened things up on these machines and of course they only play lateral records.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Over the years I have restored many C-2's, C-4's and few C-1's. The C-2 is not an easy set to restore to get it's full potential. The biggest weakness is the interstage transformer where the phono pickup connects, there is no modern replacement that will work to get the full potential. After using up all my spares I finally had new coils made to fit on the original transformer frames. To get to the problem parts requires the dis-assembly of the chassis, it is built in three sections. The speaker that was used on these sets was a Peerless one turn voice coil unit, it also needs to be completely dis-assembled and all the mechanical connections cleaned and polished so the resistance between them is in the tenths of an ohm range and the leather surround usually needs to be replaced or you just have a 10" tweeter with virtually no low end.

The C-4 always had a lousy sound to my ears, but I found if the speaker cone is replaced with a modern one it improves the sound to pretty much the same quality as most other 1930 vintage units

I like my C-1 but truthfully it doesn't sound that much better than any C-2 I've owned. A little more output power with the parallel connected speakers and 50 tubes. The real draw for the C-1 is the cabinet.

If anyone is in the market for a C-2, I have 2 more here looking for new homes.

Chuck