Sound quality of Standard Model A cylinder

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Sound quality of Standard Model A cylinder

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Hello--

Is there a way to make a 2-minute Edison Standard Model A not sound like junk?

Mine is an unrestored 1904 model with reproducer rebuilt in 2010 by Stephen Heatherley (Very kind of you to sign it, and the silicone gaskets are a great idea!)

Running it with a 14" horn...could do differently but wonder if anyone else has one it doesn't hurt to listen to.

Victor VI

Re: Sound quality of Standard Model A cylinder

Post by 52089 »

There isn't any reason for a decent model A Standard to sound like junk. It's never going to sound like a modern stereo, but you should be able to get decent frequency range and response with a non-moldy Gold Moulded cylinder and a rebuilt reproducer. I'd suggest you post a video to YouTube showing your machine playing so we can help you diagnose any issues. You might also just search YouTube to see other machines playing to compare to yours.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I agree with 52089. If everything is serviced it should perform just fine. The Edison Standard, even the early A, was a terrific value for your phono dollar both today and back when your model was new. (PM sent)

Jerry B.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Mine sounds best with a morning glory horn suspended from a crane. The extra drag from a 14" horn does tax the mechanism somewhat. Additionally, I suspect that the bigger horn gives a better frequency response. With all that said, a properly adjusted machine with a good reproducer and a good record should sound good with a "ride the reproducer" horn.

Regards,
Martin

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

"There isn't any reason for a decent model A Standard to sound like junk."

That's correct.

I think that he needs to take a good look at his machine....or the cylinders that he is playing...

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

Post by Stephen_Heatherly »

What type of horn are you using? If you're using the typical 14" horn that came with most edison machines it's not going to sound nearly as good as when a larger horn is used.
I've been playing my cylinders on an edison standard f with a diamond b reproducer and cygnet horn and now when I play them on another machine with a smaller horn they do not sound too good. Also the record has to be in good condition to get satisfactory sound out of the machine

Stephen