Zonophone Royal Grand

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Zonophone Royal Grand

Post by Jerry B. »

This Zonophone Royal Grand and mahogany record cabinet are the treasures I brought back from the recent APS sale in California. I bought the machine and cabinet from different sellers but they look like they have been together for the last one hundred years.

After returning home I looked through my late Zonophone catalog to read the particulars on the Royal Grand. It was the top of the line Zonophone and sold for $75. All the machines in the catalog were rear mount models and all but the Royal Grand were continuations in name of earlier front mount Zonophones. By the time this machine was introduced, Victor owned and promoted the Zonophone line and kept it in production to compete with Columbia. I surmise that the Royal Grand was purely a Victor idea made to compete with the finer Columbia machines. The $75 price placed it between the Victor V and Victor VI.

Todays collectors determine the ballpark range of values for any machine and those values are interesting. For example a VE-XVI and a VV-XVI have roughly the same value today even though the electric version represented only about 10% of that models sales. But if you look at an electric Triumph, called an Edison Alva, the value of the electric machine is many times the value of a spring driven Triumph. With Zonophones there is great collector value with front mount machines, good value in early rear mount models with cast metal motor decks, and modest value in Zonophones with wood motor boards. Before I made the purchase I was talking with another collector and was told it was a very late Zonophone. The translation of that comment was a warning about its value because it's a Zonophone made by Victor. But I like the machine and I only have myself to please (Yes dear, I'm almost done with this post. :D ) so I bought it. When I arrived home I placed my new Zonophone on my new cabinet and they look like they've been together for the last century.

Jerry Blais
Attachments
IMG_2522.JPG
Last edited by Jerry B. on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Zonophone Royal Grand

Post by Phono-Phan »

WOW :shock: That is beautiful. Congrats!!! That cabinet has been on my "Wish List" for a long time.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Ditto on the "WOW" factor! They're both beautiful independently of each, but together they're really stunning.

Congratulations on your new acquisition, Jerry.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

What a beautiful pair. Congratulations!

Andreas

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Beautiful Jerry. And right in the living room next to the Piano! I'll bet it didn't land there for too long though. :lol:

Victor VII
Victor I

Post by Victor VII »

Never seen this model in person. Fantastic how the phono and cabinet complement each other so well. Very elegant combo!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I'll bet it didn't land there for too long though. :lol:
Yes, it was in the living room long enough for a photo and then down to the basement. Jerry

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

It's a beautiful combo and I would be proud to have it in my living room. The condition is just what I like to see. Stripping off the finish to make it look new would be a crime.
Congratulations. I wish it was mine. :)
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Congratulations Jerry, what an awesome combination!
You don't need to make any excuses, The Late Royal Grand is one of the hardest Zono's to find, and the condition looks exceptional.
I'd be proud to own this wonderful pair!

Cheers, Bob S.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Jerry- it's a beauty for sure! Unlike audiophile 102, I'd be looking at giving this stunner a French polish, but that's me. :lol:

Isn't it funny how certain prejudices as far as which items are and are not "desirable" can permeate an entire hobby for no really good apparent reason? Then again, being an oddball myself, I've always been attracted to oddball things. (Don't tell Annette I said that :lol: )

That's a keeper for sure. I've never seen another one like it and can't understand how anyone could look down their nose at it and say "Oh, but it's a... late Zonophone!".
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek