Mikky phone ID

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
callron
Victor O

Mikky phone ID

Post by callron »

I am interested in the Mikky Phone. I know they were originally made in Japan before and after WW II, and also reproduced in India later.
Is there a definitive way to tell the Japan model from the India model?
I have noticed when the horn is stowed in the lid, some models secure it under a clip and others secure it with the screw that is also used to steady the record. Is this a clue?

Thanks for any replies

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Mikky phone ID

Post by Phonofreak »

There are two types of Mikkiphones. The round watch shaped one were made in Switzerland in the 20's-30's. The square ones were made from the late 30's, in Japan. I am not sure when production was stopped. To play it safe, I would only buy one from a fellow collector, and ask lots of questions.
Harvey Kravitz

Stephen_Madara
Victor III
Personal Text: www.glassphonohorns.com

Post by Stephen_Madara »

most of them have a metal tag attached that says made in Japan or Made in Occupied Japan.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Yes, my boxy one is marked "Occupied Japan."

Jerry B.

callron
Victor O

Post by callron »

Since my original post seeking differences between Mikky phonos made in Japan and those made in India, I have researched this at length. My findings to date are:

If anyone knows these to be incorrect, please advise.

1. Horn storage is secured in the lid with a 'Clip' on the Japan model and with a 'Screw' on the India model.
2. India model has a threaded hole in the Spindle and uses the Screw mentioned above to steady the record. Japan does not have a threaded Spindle and no Screw.
3. The fold out Arms on the Japan model have Pads to prevent record slipping, while the India Arms are scored with small dimples.
4. Some Japanese models will have "made in occupied Japan" nameplates (indicating post war production). Models prior to the war will not have this plate.

In addition to the Nameplates, there are probably many more identifying features.

BTW, I know the "Mikkyphone" (spelled with 2 k's and a y) is boxy, designed in Japan, and the "Mikiphone" (one k, no y) is the round, pocket watch looking unit, Swiss made, and that both designs have been reproduced in India.

I think fact finding research is a fun and rewarding effort for the collector.