What Victor model has the same motor as a Credenza?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Bdbill
Victor Jr

What Victor model has the same motor as a Credenza?

Post by Bdbill »

Bought a Victor Credenza made in 1925/26. The motor worked, but the old grease made the motor slip so I took it apart, greased the springs and cleaned up the motor. Now it winds fine, but once the needle hits the record, it slows down to a stop. I can hear what sounds like the spindle shaft is rubbing on the frame of the motor. I tried readjusting the governor, and greasing the shaft with no results. Maybe it's a weak spring but figure why not find a good running motor. What model motor would be the correct replacement? Thanks

roaringtwenties
Victor Jr
Personal Text: "WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ELECTRICITY BILL" - Confusion (Not Confucius)

Re: What Victor model has the same motor as a Credenza?

Post by roaringtwenties »

Greetings!

Sorry I am only 15 so I will give the best advice I can give with my experience with cabinet models. I worked on a Credenza motor a couple of times, and the Credenza shipped with both a spring motor, and an electric model. (Funnily enough now the spring "crank" models sell for more, when originally the electric Credenzas were praised more in the 1920s!) Anyway they have a 4 spring motor, which is very powerful so it is odd that your Credenza is having trouble playing a 78. You said you greased the shaft, and tried adjusting the governor so I assume that you know how to open up cabinet models to get to the actual "motor", so I'd personally take a look at the motor. MAKE SURE that all 4 springs are there, I know that neglected cabinet models have a tendency to have only half of the springs they shipped with, or even none at all due to them being used for repairs on other phonographs. I know that the most popular Victrola models that Victor made (not off brand Victrolas) used only two springs. I do not remember if the same spring motors are used on Credenzas as the ones used in popular cabinet models, but I bet if you get even two springs off of a regular cabinet model, or the whole motor and put it on the Credenza it would at least play a record temporarily. HOPEFULLY it is not missing any springs, and if it isn't I would make sure there isn't any "black gunk" stopping the motor from spinning or old oil. Sometimes it is just a measure of cranking the thing up a couple of times, letting it spin freely until it is almost completely unwound, then cranking it again and repeating that process for 10 or 20 times.

Hope this helps!

Bdbill
Victor Jr

Post by Bdbill »

roaringtwenties wrote:Greetings!

Sorry I am only 15 so I will give the best advice I can give with my experience with cabinet models. I worked on a Credenza motor a couple of times, and the Credenza shipped with both a spring motor, and an electric model. (Funnily enough now the spring "crank" models sell for more, when originally the electric Credenzas were praised more in the 1920s!) Anyway they have a 4 spring motor, which is very powerful so it is odd that your Credenza is having trouble playing a 78. You said you greased the shaft, and tried adjusting the governor so I assume that you know how to open up cabinet models to get to the actual "motor", so I'd personally take a look at the motor. MAKE SURE that all 4 springs are there, I know that neglected cabinet models have a tendency to have only half of the springs they shipped with, or even none at all due to them being used for repairs on other phonographs. I know that the most popular Victrola models that Victor made (not off brand Victrolas) used only two springs. I do not remember if the same spring motors are used on Credenzas as the ones used in popular cabinet models, but I bet if you get even two springs off of a regular cabinet model, or the whole motor and put it on the Credenza it would at least play a record temporarily. HOPEFULLY it is not missing any springs, and if it isn't I would make sure there isn't any "black gunk" stopping the motor from spinning or old oil. Sometimes it is just a measure of cranking the thing up a couple of times, letting it spin freely until it is almost completely unwound, then cranking it again and repeating that process for 10 or 20 times.

Hope this helps!
Hi, It does have all its springs, and all the old grease has been cleaned off and bearing grease added.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

The VV-XVI, VV-XIVa, 105, 107, 110, 111, 120, 1w5 130,230, 260, 300, 330, 350, 370, 300, 400, 405, 410, 8-4, 8-12, 8-30, 8-35, 8-36, Borgia I, and 9-15 all use motors which will fit.

Before you seek a replacement, make certain that the single ball bearing at the base of the turntable spindle is in place. Omitting it when re-assembling the Burton motor commonly causes the problem which you describe.

Bdbill
Victor Jr

Post by Bdbill »

Uncle Vanya wrote:The VV-XVI, VV-XIVa, 105, 107, 110, 111, 120, 1w5 130,230, 260, 300, 330, 350, 370, 300, 400, 405, 410, 8-4, 8-12, 8-30, 8-35, 8-36, Borgia I, and 9-15 all use motors which will fit.

Before you seek a replacement, make certain that the single ball bearing at the base of the turntable spindle is in place. Omitting it when re-assembling the Burton motor commonly causes the problem which you describe.
Hi, that I made certain of, it's there. Thank you for the list!