Edison Standard Speaker?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Accursius
Victor Jr

Edison Standard Speaker?

Post by Accursius »

At first, many thanks to the forum administrators for permittting me entrance to this forum and allowing me to beleaguer the illustrious circle of experts with my dilettante questions!

However, while having been collecting disc records for quite some time, I'm rather unexperienced in the field of Edison cylinder phonographs. Nevertheless, I recently took a risk while browsing eBay, and bought this rudiment from a Vienna attic (paying less than 200 € for it). So, while waiting for the parcel, my questions are: am I right in identifying the reproducer as a "Standard Speaker"? Is it possible to date this machine (according to the seller, the serial number reads H7136)? Is there any source for ordering a replacement case (remains of the lid were part of the auction)? Will a later crank (from a Standard or Home B) fit to the motor? I would appreciate any comment!
Attachments
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Re: Edison Standard Speaker?

Post by kirtley2012 »

It could be a standard speaker, though I would say it's more likely to be an automatic, I could be wrong however, though standard speakers are particularly rare

As for a case, it's certainly worth putting a Wanted ad in the 'Yankee trader' section of this forum, you'd be surprised what some collectors on here have lying around as spare parts, though the case you need is a 4 clip type case with the red banner on the lid, much rarer than the standard homes, but not impossible to find

And as for a winding handle, from a home B, no, I don't believe so, I think the home/standard B winding handles are all threaded, however some of the Home and standard model A's have a slotted fitting which will fit your early 'suitcase' style home A

Congrats on a very nice start of a very good machine, you have a very early incarnation of the Edison home, with the brass mandrel which is an indication that it's an early example, however, if that's the serial number it's probably a late example of the brass mandrel, it's probably from mid 1898, I believe the nickel mandrels took over from the brass ones in october/november 1898

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

PM sent.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

According to Edison sales data, Home No.7136 left the factory about August 1898.

As Alex noted, a crank from a B-model Edison Home or Standard won't fit, but you shouldn't have much trouble finding one from an A-model. Be sure to get one for a Home, as it has the shorter shank. The longer (and more plentiful) Standard A crank will fit, but would stick out too far. There are reproductions available if you can't find an original.

No telling from the pictures if the reproducer is a Standard Speaker or an Automatic. The lack of lettering on the adjusting arm suggests it might be a Standard Speaker; if so, you might want to find an Automatic, as they play better than the SS (and excellent reproductions are available).

Finding an empty case shouldn't be a problem. I see them on eBay regularly, and they turn up at shows too (such as the upcoming Wayne NJ show on Oct. 13-14).

Best of luck with your restoration!

George P.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

More than likely you have an Automatic reproducer. Early Automatic reproducers had a blank arm up to the time the Automatic recorder was introduced. From that time on they were stamped with REPRODUCER on the arm. Another giveaway to it not being a Standard Speaker is the fact that the body has the Edison lettering around it. Almost all Standard Speakers do not have any lettering on the body.

Rich Gordon

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Looks like it was a nice "Suitcase" Home at one time... The Bedplate and what's left are great candidates for a nice restoration..

Congrats!

Everything for the machine is available on Ebay or the internet... You just have to wait till it turns up!!! :lol:

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Know where there is an empty cabinet if you need to go that route.

rizbone
Victor III

Post by rizbone »

Just take a look at the needle. The Standard speaker will have both the reproducing needle and the recording needle. One was just listed on the forum with an excellent photo of the reproducer here:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... rd+speaker

Accursius
Victor Jr

Post by Accursius »

Thank you very much for all these answers and information!

Regarding the reproducer, I'm unsure whether the auction pictures show writing on the outer rim or just dirt. On one picture, a part of the reproducer's bottom side is visible in the background. I have tried to zoom it and believe to recognize a small, rectangular weight element similar to the one shown in the linked post, but my picture is too blurred to be sure. The needle arrangement is mostly obscured by the shaver. So I will have to be patient until the parcel arrives. Of course, I will post a better picture then.

Again, many thanks!
Attachments
Zoom Reproducer.jpg
Zoom Reproducer.jpg (27.56 KiB) Viewed 1798 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Sure looks like a Standard Speaker to me. Again, a nice, rare reproducer but not a very good player. Excellent reproduction Automatics are available if you don't want to search out an original and pay the price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Quality-R ... 1438.l2649

Congratulations!

George P.