Bettini finds in France

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MTPhono
Victor III

Re: Bettini finds in France

Post by MTPhono »

Great finds Rene - I love the Concert box (and slip). It'll look awesome next to the Bettini AD!

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I find these finds particularly fascinating! When I was a kid I remember reading in an old copy of the book 'The Fabulous Phonograph' that Bettini cylinders were rarer than Stradivari violins and Gutenberg Bibles. A memorable statement! I think since that was written this is no longer the case. All the same they must still be rare? Even if, at the moment, they are unplayable, a great piece of history just to see them.

PS. I love the 1900's Concert girl! What a great piece of artwork.

wtt11
Victor I

Post by wtt11 »

I would only recommend Mylar sleeve for paper protection. As all others will only do harm in a long run. Mylar sleeves have flap top, and are slightly yellow in color. It's the ONLY sleeve that's proved to truely not have any reaction with your paper document. They are not cheap roughly less than a dollar each depends on the size you want.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

I am still in Paris and as it happens there is a little phonograph, gramophone, radio, etc shop on the next block from my hotel. When I went in there yesterday there was a case with many things including Bettini cylinder records. Both red box and green box! I happened into the same store Rene had been in when he bought his Bettini records. I now also own one of each (moldy but intact records)! And they will fit in my carry-on bag. I wasn't going to post this to keep from appearing to be stalking Rene. But he encouraged me to post it. A terrific find and a huge coincidence. Much better than a Pathé 0! :P

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Le monde est petit! :D