Worth making an Edison Idelia-ish machine?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Worth making an Edison Idelia-ish machine?

Post by kirtley2012 »

I have this cabinet I've been kicking around for a few years, it was, once upon a time, an Edison Idelia, though in fairly sorry condition in itself, it's missing the corner columns, I should be able to replicate these, it has been partially refinished, there's a light spot where someone sanded off the edison decal, the only copper oxide part remaining is the winding handle surround, the carry handles have gone, as have all the works, and lid.

If I'm right in thinking, the bedplate and motor of the idelia are mechanically the same as a triumph, just with the different finish?

Would it be worth finding a 'junker' triumph, install it in the case and attempt to replicate a copper oxide finish or do something different like plate the bedplate, obviously state on a label within the cabinet the machine is made up of parts, an idelia is obviously hugely out of budget, as is a triumph usually, this could be a fun project, and a machine I could take around and not be too afraid to damage and make recordings on, though does anyone else think it's worth it, not entirely sure how common/expensive a triumph motor and upper works may be, I'd like to do something with the case, seems a shame to waste it.

Garret
Victor IV

Re: Worth making an Edison Idelia-ish machine?

Post by Garret »

Why not just hang onto the case and let it be? The moment you do something with it, something will come along.

Garret

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Maybe, You should post some pics of what you've already got, Then others can lend some suggestions...

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

When I was in my 20s, I lusted after a phonograph under/behind glass. Being newly married and going to graduate school, there was no money, so I made a little wooden cabinet out of pine, crafted a neat lift-out frame with a pane of glass and two metal knobs from a junk Victrola IX, and installed the mechanism of a battered Edison Standard B. It looked sort of like a Concert roller organ with a bigger glass door with an Edison Standard in it.

I had invested hours of work, but once completed there was no satisfaction in it for me. I had made something that never was, and it wasn't interesting to a collector of antiques...me. That little project taught me something, and I've never attempted to "create" and antique phonograph since - - only to "re-create" what was.

An Idelia cabinet could be a dream find for someone with a mechanism needing one. I'd either leave it alone, or (if you're really good) replicate the columns exactly and properly decal/refinish it. But only if you're really good, because mahogany is notoriously unforgiving to amateur effort. Anything less than near-perfect would just need to be done over by the eventual owner. Maybe better to leave it as unmolested as possible.

If you don't want it, I'll bet someone with a banged-up cabinet would pay handsomely for one with more potential.

Regardless of what you do, good luck!

George P.
Last edited by phonogfp on Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

At first glance an Idealia top works looks like a Triumph but I believe the deck casting is thicker like the decks on an Alva or one of the coin-ops.

Jerry Blais

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

phonogfp wrote:When I was in my 20s, I lusted after a phonograph under/behind glass. Being newly married and going to graduate school, there was no money, so I made a little wooden cabinet out of pine, crafted a neat lift-out frame with a pane of glass and two metal knobs from a junk Victrola IX, and installed the mechanism of a battered Edison Standard B. It looked sort of like a Concert roller organ with a bigger glass door with an Edison Standard in it.

I had invested hours of work, but once completed there was no satisfaction in it for me. I had made something that never was, and it wasn't interesting to a collector of antiques...me. That little project taught me something, and I've never attempted to "create" and antique phonograph since - - only to "re-create" what was.

An Idelia cabinet could be a dream find for someone with a mechanism needing one. I'd either leave it alone, or (if you're really good) replicate the columns exactly and properly decal/refinish it. But only if you're really good, because mahogany is notoriously unforgiving to amateur effort. Anything less than near-perfect would just need to be done over by the eventual owner. Maybe better to leave it as unmolested as possible.

If you don't want it, I'll bet someone with a banged-up cabinet would pay handsomely for one with more potential.

Regardless of what you do, good luck!

George P.
Cheers George

I do have experience with mahogany, years of guitar repairs and occasional building has made me come accross mahogany quite alot, so restoration of the cabinet is on the cards, but then would be the trouble of finding all the workings, which I think will be highly unlikely to complete such a machine with original parts, which is why I had the idea of putting a modified triumph works in it, someone has contacted me who has an Edison ideal minus the case asking if I'd sell it, but I've not yet heard back.

I would rather sell the case I think, one of my main concerns is aquiring the parts to repair my columbia AT, and I'm struggling to afford them at the moment so I'm trying to sell as much as I can,I'm sure there's people with more use for this cabinet than myself, but then as to value, I'm not sure

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I would not do this, Alex. Such machines are only attractive to the rarity collector. Sound wise and technically a Idelia is a modified Triumph, so modifying a Triumph to LOOK like an Idelia would be pointless to me. What I would recommend is to hold on to it, and maybe try to sell it on eBay. One never knows who needs such case. Hi

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

Cheers guys

I've chosen to sell it, and put it on ebay, I'm sure there's someone who has a greater need for this case than myself

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I think you've made a good decision! Good luck - -

George P.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

I too have a spare Idealia cabinet and have had it for 30 years. Taking a Triumph mech and transforming into an Idealia is a very difficult feat. It was very difficult for the factory to build an Idealia then, that is why they are so rare today. Great pains were taken. And yes the bedplate is thicker than a normal Triumph bedplate. I've been involved with the hobby for 54 years and have never seen a spare Idealia mech separate from the cabinet.