The largest original cylinder phonograph horns

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

The largest original cylinder phonograph horns

Post by kirtley2012 »

I've seen some approaching 55", but (excluding edisons 128 foot recording horn) what was the largest horn produced for playback purposes?

I have a project planned producing fiberglass horns, but I also have plans to produce a couple stupidly large ones, to see if I can

edisonclassm
Victor II

Re: The largest original cylinder phonograph horns

Post by edisonclassm »

72" is the largest I have come across. Years ago I had a 72" Standard Amplifying Horn from Newark, NJ That I coupled with a Columbia GG on a base cabinet. Mike Devecka should have a picture of this kicking around somewhere in his archives.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

In 1900-1901, Hawthorne & Sheble manufactured and offered a nine-foot long horn - - apparently to the specifications of an exhibitor named A.W. Luce. An original letter survives in which this horn was discussed (click twice on the image to enlarge):
Luce001.jpg
Hawthorne & Sheble's 1901 catalog illustrated and described this horn as its "20th Century Horn."
Luce002.jpg
Luce002.jpg (73.89 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
That the company was proud of this horn is proven by the rear cover of the 1901 catalog:
Luce003.jpg
Luce003.jpg (79.68 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
A.W. Luce took possession of his 20th Century Horn and used it with a Graphophone Grand. This 16" x 22" canvas-backed poster shows three views of the machine and horn, with Luce, an assistant, and a small boy for scale (click twice on the image to enlarge):
Luce4.JPG
As far as I know, no "20th Century Horn" is known to exist (at a whopping $150, not many could have been sold!). However, Hawthorne & Sheble briefly (1900-early 1901) marketed an even more interesting horn that, until last year, was thought not to exist. The December issue of The Antique Phonograph will feature an article on the only known surviving example of Hawthorne & Sheble's "Clover Leaf Horn." If you're not already a member of the APS, it's not too late to join for 2018 and receive all four issues of this year's journal.

George P.

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

Cheers George, that's very cool, don't think I'd seen that one before, though I'm not intending on going quite that large, I'm thinking 80-90", it would be very cool if one of those horns were still in existence

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

kirtley2012 wrote:I've seen some approaching 55", but (excluding edisons 128 foot recording horn) what was the largest horn produced for playback purposes?

I have a project planned producing fiberglass horns, but I also have plans to produce a couple stupidly large ones, to see if I can
contact Graham he has probably already made them !

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/member ... ile&u=2461

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

soundgen wrote:
kirtley2012 wrote:I've seen some approaching 55", but (excluding edisons 128 foot recording horn) what was the largest horn produced for playback purposes?

contact Graham he has probably already made them !

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/member ... ile&u=2461
He has gramophone horns, but as far to my knowledge Graham has not delved into cylinder horns, though I would love to use his EMG oversize mould to make a straight phonograph horn!