Questions about Victor Junior

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Questions about Victor Junior

Post by phonogal »

I recently picked up a barn fresh or should I say barn not so fresh Victor Junior. It came complete with rust and mud dabber nests. The reproducer is stuck tight in the horn. I have applied PB blaster today but need to know if the reproducer twists off or just pulls out. Thanks, Jan

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Re: Questions about Victor Junior

Post by GregVTLA »

Most Victor machines have a pin that you twist clockwise about 1/8th of a turn and then pull it off, however I'm unsure how far back that practice goes. If it's an exhibition, then it likely uses the above system. However, i have no knowledge of the locking system for a Victor Junior Reproducer.

Hope I could help somewhat,
Greg

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

Its a concert and yes there is a pin in the horn (elbow?) Got it out. Thank you. Now to get the platter to come off. It's stuck solid.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Hi Jan,

Nice find! A Junior is a difficult model to find. The majority of Juniors have a special "Junior" reproducer which is very much like a Concert. But there was a factory adaptor which allowed an owner to use an normal rear mount type Exhibition. I suppose a rear mount type Concert could also be used with the adaptor, but I can't see any advantage with a Concert. It is possible that someone cut off part of the tube on a long throat Concert and adapted it for use on the Junior.
If it hasn't been modified, there should be a pin in the elbow portion of the horn.

If I were trying the separate the reproducer from the elbow I would use a heat gun and get the elbow hot. While wearing thick leather gloves I would see if I could get any movement of the reproducer in the elbow. Some penetrating oil would also help. Anyone know the flash point of oil? It something I've wondered about.

If possible show us some photos of your project.

Jerry Blais

My mistake... I thought the reproducer was stuck. Turntable still stuck? A little penetrating oil down the spindle would help. While someone is gently pulling up on the turntable, the second person should tap the spindle with a rubber mallet. If you use a real hammer place some wood between the spindle top and the striking hammer.

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

Jerry Your right. The reproducer is a Victor Junior. There is so much gunk in it,I couldn't read it and it looked like a concert to me. Someone had tried to get it off before me and damaged the edge some. I need to get it apart to finish cleaning it. It also has the thumb screw broken off so that will need to come out. The whole thing is in really rough shape but it will give me something to do this winter. I'll add more pictures later.
Attachments
IMG_20181001_092153214.jpg
IMG_20181001_092139110.jpg

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

That reproducer is not common at all. Take good care of it!