Electric Credenza Hum, Stay away or can it be fixed?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Bdbill
Victor Jr

Electric Credenza Hum, Stay away or can it be fixed?

Post by Bdbill »

I'm going to look at a Victor Credenza with the electric motor. The older gentleman says the motor has a noticeable humming noise when running. I've read this should be from the coils. He's selling it for $150. How much of a problem would this be, and can it be fixed easily? Thanks

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Electric Credenza Hum, Stay away or can it be fixed?

Post by PeterF »

They all hum to some degree, and at that price - if the cosmetics are good - you should not hesitate. There are tricks to reducing the hum, and there are also lots of motors available in case that doesn't work.

Good luck - every collector who actually listens to music on his/her machines needs one of these.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

A credenza for $150 is a great deal! They trade hands for 500+ usually. The induction motors have a bit of hum sometimes, but this isn’t a sign of anything bad usually. Wooden shims can stop the noise. I also re-wire the cord from the motor out to the mains because it’s often frayed.

Bdbill
Victor Jr

Post by Bdbill »

GregVTLA wrote:A credenza for $150 is a great deal! They trade hands for 500+ usually. The induction motors have a bit of hum sometimes, but this isn’t a sign of anything bad usually. Wooden shims can stop the noise. I also re-wire the cord from the motor out to the mains because it’s often frayed.
Ok, I'll probably be buying it tomorrow. Thanks

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

Maybe it hums because it doesn't know the words :lol:

Seriously though, the induction motor does make some humming noise and probably not something to worry about unless it's excessive (like a buzzing noise), not sure about the universal motor.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

There’s a crossover wire (actually cross under) that goes from the coil on one side of the motor, over to to coil on the other side of the motor. The other connector on each coil is where one of the two power leads connect . I have seen on a couple VE 10-50 motors where that crossover wire broke loose and if I recall correctly, made a hum. In another style of the same motor there is a fuse in the middle of that crossover wire. You might want to check that.

Bdbill
Victor Jr

Post by Bdbill »

Victrola-Monkey wrote:There’s a crossover wire (actually cross under) that goes from the coil on one side of the motor, over to to coil on the other side of the motor. The other connector on each coil is where one of the two power leads connect . I have seen on a couple VE 10-50 motors where that crossover wire broke loose and if I recall correctly, made a hum. In another style of the same motor there is a fuse in the middle of that crossover wire. You might want to check that.
I'll check that, thank you!

downsouth
Victor III

Post by downsouth »

I have three electric Credenzas at the moment and they all hum slightly.

Wes

Bdbill
Victor Jr

Post by Bdbill »

Turns out, the motor was the best part of the Credenza, very quiet. The reproducer and tonearm support were another thing, both trashed. Would a tonearm with the support from a Granada work on the electric Credenza?

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

The Granada arm is too short, you’ll just need a new back bracket for yours. Ron Sitko sells them. The reproducer is replaceable too, but sometimes they’re pricey.