Kimball Phonograph Picked Up Today

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Talkophone
Victor II

Kimball Phonograph Picked Up Today

Post by Talkophone »

Picked this up today. Has original finish my question would be in good taste to discard the grille cloth ( I think the color of grille cloth is wrong)? I think it would look good without the grille cloth because I think the finish on the inside is oak and has the neat volume control.

Larry
My Kimball.jpg
My Kimball a.jpg
My Kimball b.jpg
My Kimball c.jpg
My Kimball d.jpg

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Kimball Phonograph Picked Up Today

Post by Brad »

Hi Larry,

That is a sweet looking machine, I like it.

Grill cloth appears to be a matter of taste. On most machines it seems to be rare that it is known what the original color might have been, let alone if there was cloth to begin with. I have heard it told that back in the day many edison owners would change the grill cloth to complement their decor.

Having said that, if you don't like what is there, remove it and replace it with something more to your liking, or remove it all together. I have an Amberola 75 that came with this hideous magenta grill cloth. I removed it and like the look of the machine with no cloth so I left it that way.

If the horn is finished to match the exterior, chances are no cloth was originally there.

Unless someone knows that what is there original or correct, I would go ahead and change to suit your needs. Most folks that see it won't know the difference and it is you you need to please.

Again, nice machine.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?