Just bought Edison B-80 with rare record cabinet

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Just bought Edison B-80 with rare record cabinet

Post by marcapra »

I just bought this Edison B-80 early DD machine with a rare record cabinet that is somewhat of a mystery to me. I've never seen a B-80 record cabinet with cabriole legs before. Since the finishes don't match, is it possible that the cabinet was stripped of its original finish in some previous attempt to refinish both parts, but the project was never finished? I don't think the cabinet is just a generic record cabinet, as it has the same Gothic design, and it has the curved corners that match the B-80's exactly. If the Pooley Furniture Co. made the B-80 cabinets, did they also make the record cabinets? Any comments or ideas? Marc.
Attachments
b80c3.jpg
b80a1598.jpg
B-80 record cabinet normally seen.
B-80 record cabinet normally seen.
b80stand.jpg (312.87 KiB) Viewed 790 times

tomb
Victor IV

Re: Just bought Edison B-80 with rare record cabinet

Post by tomb »

Nice combination Marc. It really does match in the looks but not the finish. I am not an expert in the matching but I know a good local furniture restorer who could tell you. It must play some loud music as it has to be attached to the cabinet so it will not vibrate off. Tom

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Just bought Edison B-80 with rare record cabinet

Post by Jerry B. »

I also love the way the trim on the base cabinet matches and compliments the machine's woodwork.

Jerry B.