BK Graphophone I think?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

BK Graphophone I think?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Guys, what is a BK Graphophone?

Because I think I just bought one on eBay.

Needs veneer patching done to the lid but other than that it's nice--they even say the motor still works!

Anyone here know how to fix holes in cylinder player tops?

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: BK Graphophone I think?

Post by Lucius1958 »

The BK was the introductory model of Columbia's "Lyric" line. It replaced the AZ, which was basically a late style AT, with a fixed carriage and floating weight reproducer.

By the time the BK came along, the floating weight had been replaced with the "Lyric" spring tension reproducer.

Bill

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Guys, what is a BK Graphophone?

Because I think I just bought one on eBay.

Needs veneer patching done to the lid but other than that it's nice--they even say the motor still works!

Anyone here know how to fix holes in cylinder player tops?
Wyatt Marcus AKA MicaMonster has a lid repair documented here http://www.lagparty.org/~wyatt/home/

Hope that helps.
Andreas

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Do you have any pics?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

I believe he is talking about this one eBay Item #323377153092 I like the dealer decal.
Attachments
s-l64.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

My stars, cyberstalkers do exist!

Yes, that's the one. The dealer decal is quite nice and so is the machine in general--but it appears something was set on top of the wooden lid, puncturing it in two places. I have some leftover veneer from an Edison Amberola refinish (old veneer to match) and a spare horn, so it should be a simple little restoration for a nice machine.

The only alteration I can't decide, is to change the worn-out banner decal on the front for a new one. It has to arrive here first, though.

Does anyone own one of these? How do they sound?

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:My stars, cyberstalkers do exist!

Yes, that's the one. The dealer decal is quite nice and so is the machine in general--but it appears something was set on top of the wooden lid, puncturing it in two places. I have some leftover veneer from an Edison Amberola refinish (old veneer to match) and a spare horn, so it should be a simple little restoration for a nice machine.

The only alteration I can't decide, is to change the worn-out banner decal on the front for a new one. It has to arrive here first, though.

Does anyone own one of these? How do they sound?
Cyberstalkers! Hardly. I think there are a few of us that look at Ebay. I had viewed this, so when you described it, I knew which one you were talking about. Like I said, I think it is interesting because of the decal. I did a search for the company but it only came up in a newspaper article. Maybe you can research it further.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Don't worry phonogal--I was joking about it. Of course many of us watch the Bay like hawks.

I think I'm going to go the Wyatt route--there is some original oak veneer in my stash from refinishing my Amberola and it's going to get put to good use. Thanks everyone for their input.

Reading the forum disclosed that its Lyric Reproducer does wax cylinders no favors. I suppose I will have to buy 2-minute indestructible records now! One could have worse problems, right? I LOVE indestructibles so this is fine.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

How do you replace a large banner decal with a new one without disturbing the original finish? Jerry B.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I don't know, actually...was wondering how to. I had better get it in my grubby hands first before I decide what to do.