Can you identify this mystery machine? Prize Awarded!!!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
soundgen
Victor V

Re: Can you identify this mystery machine? Prize Awarded!!!

Post by soundgen »

Jerry B. wrote:
it's the first crapophne
I've never identified anyone on the Forum as an enemy... until now! :x (Just kidding! :P )
didn't notice if you are able to determine who may have constructed the cabinets?
Inside the cabinet was a screen print of William Plummer's Victrola. It looks like a similar style of folk art but I'm no expert. I would appreciate other opinions.

Jerry Blais
this must be one of the best forum posts ever , what's wrong with a bit of needle , it gets some great responses ! :lol:

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Jerry B. wrote:I really have no idea who built and modified the Victrola VI. I wish I could send photos to someone who knows something about good quality folk art. I just fell in love with the whole outfit. I think machines like this make a collection interesting. Jerry B.

Maybe contact Philadelphia Museum of Art and ask if they can verify whether it is an artwork by William Plummer ? They can only say no - or maybe it is an unknown second one of his fantastic works and they can tell ! Maybe an earlier one ? Nothing to lose maybe ? It's all good !

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

soundgen wrote:doh ! he built one , how do you go from one to more than one to many ? is it signed ?

Oh, thank you, I hadn't thought of that.

Oh, maybe there is a fingerprint on the inside or maybe some DNA ?

CSI could be an option to call in.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I would be thrilled if I ever came across a phonograph like that. That is one of a kind unique machine anyone would be proud to own. When people take the time and craftsman ship to do that work they created something they loved and wanted to improve. Try to figure out the time it took to carve that cabinet. If I came across the opera house, or the chalet, or one like the Vic VI I would head to the local loan shark pronto to finance it. Nice phonograph. Tom

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I think this machine is great! Alot of collectors here in Britain, as in the US, would find it fascinating. The carving adds a great deal of interest. The work was done when the item was new or, at least, when the item was in period contemporary use and has nothing to do with any modern put together derogatory term.

Some years ago I bought an Amberola 50. When this item was new a remarkable pedestal and record cabinet was made for it to sit on. Perhaps this was because something grander and larger was required than simply buying the Amberola 75 which had its own cabinet? Like Jerry's item the wood carving over it is incredible. These are custom items, and not catalogued factory items but I think are more interesting because of it. If these were actually Victor/Edison products they would probably be much more valuable but then they simply wouldn't exist.

You may have seen this Amberola on a well known dealers website when it was sold. The Amberola has had it's grill carved with a period Art Nouveau Mackintosh pattern of trailing roses. Should I change the grill and put back a regular one? I think not, it's part of the machines history! Quite frankly I wish they hadn't stopped at the grill and gone full hog and carved the machine all over to match the base... :)
Attachments
Amberola.jpg
Last edited by jamiegramo on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Jamie, Thanks for the wonderful photo. I love the look of pride in the man's face. Jerry B.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

The very valuable Grand Prize started its journey to Damfino59 yesterday. With such a valuable item, I though it wise to call Brinks for added security. I'm not a big gun person so, when given the option, I took the driver with a security dog. The dog looked very much like a Jack Russell Terrier... with a smile on his face. :D

Jerry Blais

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

I saw this post the other day but did not have time to comment. I would buy such a work of art too! I will bet the maker was very proud of it and rightly so!! The Edison is also outstanding!!
Allen

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Jerry B. wrote:The very valuable Grand Prize started its journey to Damfino59 yesterday. With such a valuable item, I though it wise to call Brinks for added security. I'm not a big gun person so, when given the option, I took the driver with a security dog. The dog looked very much like a Jack Russell Terrier... with a smile on his face. :D

Jerry Blais
Admit it Jerry! Were you tempted to send the set with the chipped ear?

:) :)

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Admit it Jerry! Were you tempted to send the set with the chipped ear?
I took advantage of the weekend for the plaster to dry. ;)

Jerry