Can you identify this mystery machine? Prize Awarded!!!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
soundgen
Victor V

Re: Can you identify this mystery machine? Prize Awarded!!!

Post by soundgen »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Get over it, people! It is original, it's an original Victrola VI sitting inside of an awesome custom cabinet.
It's not original, yes it's an original Victrola VI sitting inside of an awesome custom cabinet it's the first crapophne :lol:

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Back on topic: Jerry I think that's pretty cool, and congratulate you on your new acquisition.

I read through all the posts (unfortunately), but didn't notice if you are able to determine who may have constructed the cabinets?

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

it's the first crapophne
I've never identified anyone on the Forum as an enemy... until now! :x (Just kidding! :P )
didn't notice if you are able to determine who may have constructed the cabinets?
Inside the cabinet was a screen print of William Plummer's Victrola. It looks like a similar style of folk art but I'm no expert. I would appreciate other opinions.

Jerry Blais

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Jerry B. wrote:
it's the first crapophne
I've never identified anyone on the Forum as an enemy... until now! :x (Just kidding! :P )
didn't notice if you are able to determine who may have constructed the cabinets?
Inside the cabinet was a screen print of William Plummer's Victrola. It looks like a similar style of folk art but I'm no expert. I would appreciate other opinions.

Jerry Blais

Is it possible to see a large photo of the screen print (both sides) please I wonder ?

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

OK, I want a recount and an outside time keeper----were Central,Eastern,Mountain,Atlantic,Pacific, or Old times all added into the equation? AND what about a runner-up prize, do I get any salt for my wounds? Ha,Ha,--- Jerry, Thanks for making this such an enjoyable contest on The Forum. My real prize today, was at The Wayne Show ---seeing all the good people that make the show what it is. I already have a pair of Nipper Salt and Pepper shakers, so I won't be scarred for life-----by not winning. ENJOYED---THANK YOU

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"lots of crapohones are made with original parts..."

Really...? Original to what - Crap-O-Phones? Most have Indian made cabinets that are fake, back mount brackets that are fake, tonearms that are fake, horns that are fake, horn elbows that are fake, so in reality totally fake machines. Some have reproducers from portables and motors from portables, but even though original parts, they were never installed in horn machines - originally.

The point is that Crap-O-Phones are not real phonographs, they are fabricated from fantasy parts to appear to the unsuspecting buyer to be a real, antique horn phonograph... they are meant to fool people. Even the decals on them are meant to fool unsuspecting buyers and they are fake, as well. They try to take advantage of the desirability of original outside horn machines and provide junk as an option... You will never see fake Victrola VIs made in India, because there is no market for an average wind up phonograph to be duplicated and the price of a Victrola VI is not high enough to make it worthwhile...

Jerry's machine is a real antique Victor Victrola VI in masquerade, obviously not meant to fool anybody and is an interesting piece of folk art made at the time these were popular by some enterprising owner who may have been a furniture maker and customized his lowly Victrola into a one of a kind machine. There is a totally different vibe going on here... it isn't a Crap-O-Phone or a FrankenPhone, because it wasn't made to appear to be something that it wasn't - it's totally unique. And it used all original parts, with some additions.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

Jerry.
Congrats on a very interesting find. I think it's quite glorious and much more interesting than a regular VV-VI.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I really have no idea who built and modified the Victrola VI. I wish I could send photos to someone who knows something about good quality folk art. I just fell in love with the whole outfit. I think machines like this make a collection interesting. Jerry B.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Curt A wrote:... an interesting piece of folk art ... one of a kind...
Agreed. :ugeek:
In my humble opinion, the best collections will have unique and diverse items within them. :coffee:

Just like this...
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=29056

James.
Jerry B. wrote: I think machines like this make a collection interesting.
And so it is!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

James, I too thought of the Opera House phono when I first saw this customized Victrola VI. I think there is a place in our hobby for customized and special interest machines. Most of the things we collect were built from the late 19th century into the thirties then they went in the attic or the land fill. From my perspective any machine modified or customized during the time they were being used by original or early owners qualify as a collection worthy machine.

Crapophones or Frankenphones, two different things, are a modern or recent phenomenon. I believe something done or built recently recently has little value.

With that said I have no provenance to prove my machine is an old customization. I only have my opinion based on decades of phono collecting. That's all, but it's enough for me to make a reasonably expensive purchase.

Happy collecting, Jerry Blais