(Updated) estate sale lot of machines

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Re: (Updated) estate sale lot of machines

Post by Django »

I am not an expert on these machines, so please take this with a grain of salt. It looks to me like the works are to an Edison Standard Model C Language machine but the cabinet is a Model B. Maybe there was a transition period when the works and cabinet overlapped. Does anyone know if that is an early "C" serial number, (the bed-plate tag, not the reproducer).

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Django wrote:I am not an expert on these machines, so please take this with a grain of salt. It looks to me like the works are to an Edison Standard Model C Language machine but the cabinet is a Model B. Maybe there was a transition period when the works and cabinet overlapped. Does anyone know if that is an early "C" serial number, (the bed-plate tag, not the reproducer).
The case had the holes for the nails of the ICS tag, so I assume so, but if anyone has info I would like to know.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Django wrote:I am not an expert on these machines, so please take this with a grain of salt. It looks to me like the works are to an Edison Standard Model C Language machine but the cabinet is a Model B. Maybe there was a transition period when the works and cabinet overlapped. Does anyone know if that is an early "C" serial number, (the bed-plate tag, not the reproducer).
The first of the Model C Standards and the first Model D standards retained the low base of the Model A and B cabinets.

The Model C and B Standards were manufactured simultaneously - even after the introduction of the Model D!

George P.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Hi Martin.
You have a nice example of an ICS Model C. Some of the giveaways of this being the right case are: the holes for the ICS tag (which you noticed), but also the factory made horn crane brace notch. The factory started notching the Tall style cases around 607,000+. By the time your machine was made, the Model D machines tended to go out with Late style cases while the Model C seemed to get the Tall style cases. A bit after that, there seems to be a random mix of Late and Tall cases. I presume that was due to the factory "blowing out" the last of the Tall case stock. You've done a nice job conserving your Model C. Think of all of the languages you can learn! :mrgreen:

Best Regards,
Martin

BTW: Here's a copy of the latest Standard excel sheet if you care to download it.
Edison_Std_Data_12_11_18.xls
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 92 times